Volunteering, work and learning

Volunteering opportunities in Suffolk, help to get work, employment support, training, education and grants and funding.
Older woman volunteer with donations box


Volunteering is a great way to stay active, social and independent. 

Being a volunteer can also give you valuable experience, which could lead to paid employment.

You can find out more below and search for local opportunities:

Other types of volunteers include:


Woman studying in library

Getting help to find work

If you're looking for work, need CV advice, or want to develop your skills, some organisations can help:

Employment support for people with mental health problems or a learning disability

If you're over 18 and have a learning disability, autism or mental health problems the Shaw Trust can help you to: 

  • prepare for work
  • find training or work experience
  • find and apply for paid work
  • manage a disability at work
  • support you if you have problems at work

They will look at your abilities, aspirations and strengths to help to find the right job for you.

Care Farms

Working or volunteering at a Care farm can help you to improve your health and wellbeing and gives you an opportunity to develop new skills.

Every farm is different but they offer a range of activities, for example:

  • working with animals
  • growing produce
  • land management
  • working in a farm shop
  • Volunteering

You can find a list of local care farms on Suffolk InfoLink

Training and education

There are plenty of learning opportunities in Suffolk:

You can also study from home through organisations like:

Apprenticeships and traineeships are open to all ages above 16 years. They're good for those who are leaving education, want to learn a new skill while working or want to start a new career.

Grants and funding

There are various grants and bursaries for adult learners. Usually, you don't have to pay this money back.

GOV.UK has more information on further education courses and funding. Courses range from basic English and maths to Higher National Diplomas (HNDs).

You may be able to apply for an Advanced Learner Loan to help with the costs of a course at a college or training provider.