To find out more or talk further about what opportunities are available in your area, please contact the Suffolk Leadership and Governance Team on firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01473 263972.
Governor to Governor support website
The Governor to Governor support website has now officially launched.
The website has been developed to give governors the opportunity to share best practice with one another without the need for the Local Authority to facilitate this.
It currently contains a number of case studies highlighting good practice which will grow as time goes by. Each case study listed includes details of a governor at the school who can be contacted directly to discuss its contents further. A governor forum is also available to sign up to.
The website provides links to useful resources and policies, including all back-issues of Governor Headlines, and offers the opportunity for governors to share their own. All governor vacancies for maintained schools are also displayed, based on the information that we have. These will be updated every 2 weeks but if you find that the vacancy information shared for your school is incorrect please update us at email@example.com. Similarly, if you are an academy and would like to advertise your vacancies on the website please contact us at the same address.
In addition to the website we have also launched a Twitter page in order help keep governors informed of all the latest updates and share useful governance tips. If you would like to follow us we can be found at @GovernSuffolk.
Why govern in Suffolk?
Could you use your experience to benefit a local school by becoming a school governor?
Watch our school governor case studies to find out how people from around the county have put their skills in to a Suffolk school.
Why become a school governor
As a governor you can:
- make a difference in your local community
- develop your skills and experience
- improve your knowledge about the education sector
Find out more about the benefits of becoming a school governor and how the local authority can help you:
- School governor case studies
- Why become a school governor in Suffolk? (PDF, 113KB)
- Governance facts (PDF, 39KB)
What you need to know about becoming a school governor
A good governor should:
- gain a good understanding of the school’s strengths and weaknesses
- contribute to the strategic discussions at governing body meetings
- hold the senior leaders to account by monitoring the school’s performance
Read in more detail about what governors are expected to do (PDF, 51KB).
If you have any questions about school governance, contact the Suffolk Leadership and Governance Team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 01473 263972.
How to become a school governor
- Register your interest in becoming a school governor, or download and fill out the governor application form (Word, 50KB) and email your application to email@example.com.
- The Leadership and Governance team at Suffolk County Council will contact you to discuss your options.
- Agree your first, second and third choice school.
- The Leadership and Governance team will then contact your first choice school.
- A meeting will be arranged with the Chair of the Governing body which will include a general discussion about the governing body, recent successes, challenges and a tour of the school.
- You will be given the option to sit in on a full governing body meeting.
- If you would like to join this governing body you will need to provide your references and carry out the necessary checks, including DBS.
- Congratulations, you've become a school governor and can start putting your skills into a Suffolk school.