Legislation can be complicated and it isn’t always easy to know what is applicable to your business and what you need to do to comply.
Trading Standards supports and assists both consumers and businesses. We advise on and enforce laws that govern the way we buy, sell, rent and hire goods and services.
Trading Standards Officers work for local councils advising on consumer law, investigating complaints and, if all else fails, prosecuting traders who break the law.
These laws cover things like:
- counterfeit goods
- product safety standards
- product and food labelling
- weights and measures
- under-age sales
- animal welfare
Trading Standards support and encourage businesses by giving advice and information to help businesses get it right first time.
Here in Suffolk we welcome local companies and sole traders to contact us to discuss their business, and they ways in which we may be able to assist them.
We can help businesses with start up advice, with the labelling of their products, assist them with setting up due diligence systems, carry out checks on their weighing equipment, provide information on resolving consumer disputes and offer guidance on product safety, credit advertising and various other areas of legislation.
Other sources of help and information
- Business Companion provides information for businesses and individuals that need to know about trading standards and consumer protection legislation
- The Suffolk Trader Scheme promotes the use of Checkatrade's directory of local tradesmen who have been verified by Suffolk Trading Standards
- Single Point of Contact (SPoC) for border controls of non-food products
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: 01473 264859