This is a register of providers, registered by Ofsted to care for children from birth to 17 years. There are two parts to the register:
- The compulsory part – Providers must register on this part if they care for one or more children following their fifth birthday until they reach their eighth birthday.
- The voluntary part - Providers who are not eligible for compulsory registration may choose to register on this part. These are mainly people looking after children aged eight and over, or providing care in the child's home. (Usually nannies).
Who applies for registration with Ofsted?
A person who is registered to look after one or more children to whom they are not related to on domestic premises for reward. They:
- care for children at a private dwelling that is not the home of one of the children, or
- care for children from more than two families wholly or mainly in the home of one of the children, and
- must register to care for children under the age of eight years
- can choose to register to care for older children.
Childcare providers on non-domestic premises
Registered providers that care for children on premises that are not someone's home. These premises can range from converted houses, to purpose-built nurseries and are usually known as day nurseries, private nursery schools, pre-school playgroups and before and after school clubs for children in the early years age group.
What is the ‘Early Years age group’?
Children aged from birth until 31 August following their fifth birthday who attend an early years setting that delivers the Early Years Foundation Stage.
If you would like more information on the Ofsted registration process please go to the Ofsted website. You can contact Ofsted on 0300 123 1231 or by email at: email@example.com
What Suffolk County Council do
The council's Suffolk Family Information Service is able to provide information to people who are looking to extend their services or set up new childcare provision in Suffolk. We offer help and support to childcare providers both before and after they register. For more details please contact the Suffolk Family Information Service.