Skip to main content

Criteria for dropped kerb accesses

The criteria applies for permission to construct, extend or alter a domestic dropped kerb for one or two dwellings.
The word Highway means the carriageway (road), footway (pavement), public rights of way and verges beyond your property boundary, maintained by Suffolk County Council (SCC) as the Highway Authority.

When we refer to a dropped kerb, we mean the area between the road edge and your property boundary which you wish to drive over. Our criteria also looks at the provision for your vehicle on your land e.g., dimensions, materials, drainage etc.

On approval, all work associated with the construction or alteration of the access must be met in full by the applicant.

Further details on the criteria for dropped kerb accesses can be found below, alternatively you can download the full document.