You can apply online for you or someone else on the GOV.UK website. Watch a guide on how to apply for a blue badge on YouTube.
Apply for or renew a Blue Badge (GOV.UK)
Before you start
All applicants are required to complete a full application each time they apply.
When to renew a badge
Due to our processing times, we recommend you submit your application 3 months (12 weeks) – no sooner, before your current badge expires.
Your application will automatically be cancelled if you apply more than 12 weeks in advance of your current badge expiring. If you continue to display an expired badge, either by itself or with a note or letter to say you have re-applied and are waiting for your new Blue Badge to arrive, you may receive a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN) or other enforcement action.
For Renewal applicants you’ll need:
- details of your current Blue Badge (All expired badges should be returned to us. New ones must not be displayed until they are in date, as you could be fined).
- proof of your address or identity - but only if this has changed since your previous badge was issued.
- your National Insurance number
- a photo. A new photograph is not required unless the photograph on your current badge is not a true likeness of you.
- proof of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) – this is no longer required as we are now able to verify your DLA award directly from the DWP database. You will therefore no longer need to submit/upload these unless we ask you to. (This may be because we are unable to verify.)
- proof of Personal Independence Payment (PIP) – this is no longer required as We are now able to verify your PIP award directly from the DWP database. You will no longer need to upload/submit these unless we ask you to. (This may be because we are unable to verify.)
Renewal applicants who are not applying under the Automatic criteria, will also need to tell us if you:
- use any mobility aids
- take any medication for your condition – provide a copy of your recent prescription list
- have had any treatments for your condition since your previous badge was issued and the names of the healthcare professionals that have treated you
If we need to request further medical evidence to support your application we will contact you.
For new applicants you’ll need documents to support your application. (Next section on this page).
If you require any further assistance with your Blue Badge application you can: