Blue Badge disabled parking

How to apply, replace, renew, change details on a Blue Badge, and how much they cost.

Parking using an expired Blue Badge during COVID-19 crisis

Updated 2 July 2020.

In response to COVID-19, local authorities were advised by the Department for Transport and local government representative bodies to allow you to continue using your badge if it had an expiry date between 1 January 2020 and 30 September 2020. After this date, you will no longer be permitted to use your expired badge.

If your badge has expired or is due to expire, we would strongly encourage you to start the reapplication process as soon as you can if you haven’t already done so. This will help give your local authority sufficient time to process your application and make a decision. This will also help to ensure you receive a new badge before the 30 September 2020 if you are entitled to one. If you continue to use an expired badge after this date, you may receive a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN) or other enforcement action.

A Blue Badge helps you park nearer to where you need to be if you have a disability. 

Before you apply

  • Check who can get a Blue Badge.
  • Have all the relevant documents needed to support your application ready so that you can upload them during the application process.
  • Please provide your email address. We will contact you if any information is needed, to let you know if the application has been successful, and to give details about how to make payment.

We recommend you do not use Internet Explorer to access our payment system, as you may experience more issues compared to other web browsers.

All applications cost £10.

We will ask for this payment when you apply for your Blue Badge. If your application is unsuccessful, this payment will be refunded to you.

You can pay:

  • by phoning 0800 090 2911, which is available 24 hours a day - you will need the unique Blue Badge payment reference number quoted on your application confirmation email or letter
  • through our online payments portal 

You can apply online for you or someone else on the GOV.UK website.

Apply for or renew a Blue Badge

Applicants are now able to save their application part of the way through by selecting Save and return later on the Task list page. They will need to provide an email address and postcode and will be sent an email advising them that their application is saved for 7 days.

If you're an organisation or applying under special rules (e.g. terminally ill) contact the Blue Badge Team on 0808 800 4005 (option 2) for further assistance.

Before you start

You'll need:

  • the details of your current Blue Badge (renew only)
  • a coloured passport style photograph, no more than 12 months old
  • your National Insurance number
  • proof of identification (passport, birth certificate, driving licence)
  • proof of residency/address (dated within the last 12 months)
  • proof of your benefit award (if applicable), e.g. PIP, Higher Rate Mobility DLA
  • any documents related to your condition (diagnosis letters, hospital correspondence)

You'll also need to provide further details if you:

  • use any mobility aids
  • take any medication for your condition (prescription list)
  • have had any treatments for your condition and the names of the healthcare professionals that have treated you

Watch a guide on how to apply for a blue badge on GOV.UK 

All expired badges should be returned to us. New ones must not be displayed until they are in date, as you could be fined.

When to renew a badge

The earliest you can re-apply for a Blue Badge is 12 weeks before your existing badge expires. If you apply outside of this time frame, your application will automatically be cancelled and any payment made will be refunded.

All applicants are required to complete a full application each time they apply.

  • Proof of identity (a document showing who you are). This could include your:
    • driving license (in date, full license)
    • passport
    • HM Forces ID card
    • ID card for foreign nationals
    • certificate of British nationals
    • birth certificate
  • Proof of residency (a document showing where you live), dated within the last 12 months. This could include:
    • a council tax or utility bill
    • a benefit, pension, hospital or GP letter
  • Passport style colour photograph taken in the last 12 months
  • Lasting Power of Attorney Health and Welfare evidence, if the badge needs to be sent to the appointed power of attorney

A document cannot be used twice. For example, you cannot use a driving license to show where you live and who you are. 

If you automatically qualify for a badge, we will need to see the relevant evidence from one of the documents below:

  • Certificate of Visual Impairment confirming severe sight impairment
  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP) award letter dated within the last 12 months. It must include the front page and all pages showing the breakdown of points you have been awarded and include the dates the award is valid from and to.
  • Higher Rate Mobility Component of Disability Living Allowance award letter, dated in the last 12 months
  • War Pensioners' Mobility Supplement Award letter, dated in the last 12 months
  • Armed Forces and Reserve Forces (Compensation) Scheme within tariff levels 1-8 (inclusive) award letter

Hidden disabilities

We may ask you to get a HD1 form (PDF, 254KB) completed to support your application.

Sending your documents to us

If you are unable to upload your documents, please scan and email them to us at or send photocopies to us (not originals) by post to:

Blue Badge Team
Suffolk County Council
PO Box 258
IP14 9BU

Alternatively, you can hand your supporting documents in person to:

  • Bury St Edmunds Registration Office, 7 Angel Hill
  • Ipswich Register Office, St Peter House, 16 Grimwade Street
  • Stowmarket Town Council, Milton Road
  • East Suffolk Council, Woodbridge Library, New Street
  • East Suffolk Council, Marina Centre, Lowestoft
  • East Suffolk Council, Beccles Library, Blyburgate
  • Ipswich Borough Council Customer Services Centre, Princes Street, Ipswich IP1 1BZ.

Drop off service only, anything handed in will be sent securely to the Blue Badge Team. If you would like your documentation verified, please visit Ipswich Register Office, Grimwade Street.

If you require any further assistance regarding the Blue Badge application process, please call us on 0808 800 4005 (option 2).

Once payment and all evidence needed to support your application have been received, it can take up to 6 weeks to issue your badge. If you do not hear anything during this time, it's because we're dealing with your application.

If we need any more information from you, we'll contact you.

As part of the application, you may be asked to attend an Independent Mobility Assessment. This will look at how you go about daily activities, to see if you are able to get a Blue Badge. If one is needed, you will be notified by letter or email offering an appointment date.

Please note that once your appointment has been booked and confirmed if you fail to attend, you may be charged a fee.

Please post expired badges to:

Blue Badge Team
Suffolk County Council
PO Box 258
IP14 9BU

You can hand in badges to any of the following offices:

  • Bury St Edmunds Registration Office, 7 Angel Hill 
  • Ipswich Register Office, St Peter House, 16 Grimwade Street
  • Stowmarket Town Council, Milton Road 
  • East Suffolk Council, Woodbridge Library, New Street 
  • East Suffolk Council, Marina Centre, Lowestoft
  • East Suffolk Council, Beccles Library, Blyburgate
  • Ipswich Borough Council Customer Services Centre, Princes Street, Ipswich IP1 1BZ

A Blue Badge holder has died

If a Blue Badge needs to be returned because the holder had died, please let us know as soon as possible.

Report the death of a Blue Badge holder

Reporting a badge lost or stolen

Contact us as soon as possible if your badge is lost or stolen by completing our online form

If your badge is found after you have reported it lost or stolen, it can no longer be used and should be posted to the Blue Badge Team:

Blue Badge Team
Suffolk County Council
PO Box 258
IP14 9BU 

A replacement badge will be considered once we have validated details of your old one. We do not accept responsibility for any expenses you may incur as a result of not having your badge for a period of time. The decision to issue or refuse a replacement Blue Badge rests with us. 

We work closely with other local authorities and parking services to reduce Blue Badge misuse. Old badge details will be passed to parking enforcement teams, who have access to a central database and may wish to make further enquiries.

Suffolk County Council is committed to protecting your privacy and will treat your personal data in line with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and subsequent, revised UK data protection law. Read our Blue Badge privacy notice for more information.

Changing the badge details 

Let us know if you have moved address or changed your name using our online form.

Your appeal must include new information from a Health Care Professional detailing your condition/s and how this/these impact your mobility. Please send us your reasons in writing within 1 calendar month of the date of your refusal letter with any additional supporting information.

The application will be reviewed and, we may ask you to attend an appointment with our independent mobility assessor (if we have not done so already).

Blue Badge scheme rules

See guidance about your rights and responsibilities as a Blue Badge holder

Disabled spaces in the UK

Parkopedia, lists all the car parks in the UK, letting you check before you travel if there are parking areas for disabled people.

Using your Blue Badge in other countries 

You should always check if you are able to use your Blue Badge in the country you are visiting before travelling.  

Using your non-European Blue Badge in the UK 

We recommend that you contact the parking enforcement teams of the district and borough councils in the areas you will be visiting. They will be able to tell you if you can use the badge in the areas they are responsible for.