Our Highways Reporting Tool allows you to report a new defect and monitor the status of existing reports.
Do not report a problem with a manhole cover online if:
- it poses an immediate danger to public safety - call 0345 606 6171
- it’s on a trunk road in Suffolk - call the Highways England Information Line on 0300 123 5000
- it's on a private road
Reporting a problem takes about 2 minutes.
You can begin by clicking the Start button, or read the instructions below for further guidance.Start
Check for existing reports
You can check if a problem has already been reported by clicking on the Show Key button on the map.
The coloured icons show the progress of each report.
How to use the reporting tool
1. Read the information on the entry screen then click the Continue button
2. Find your location by typing the road name, parish or postcode of the problem in the search box. (You can also use the "Find my location" button in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen.)
3. Click on the map to plot the location of the problem (you can drag and drop to pinpoint the exact location)
4. Complete the Report a Problem form
5. Click the Submit Report button
We'll investigate your report, and make a decision on any action that may need to be taken and by when.
The response to a report is based on:
- the type of problem
- what road category the report is on
- risk to public safety
If you provided an email address, you'll receive a reference number for your report and updates on what will happen next.
If you did not provide an email address you can still check for updates - use the search box or zoom in to your report location and click on the coloured pin for information.
Other ways to report
Reporting a non-emergency problem online is quicker and easier. It also saves money, which can be used to improve services.
However, you can report a problem by email or phone using the following contact details:
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: 0345 606 6171