We will not agree to requests for mirrors to be placed on roads we maintain. They can increase risk and reduce safety because they:
- reflect light and interfere with a driver's vision
- reduce the ability to judge an oncoming vehicle's speed
- create an unreasonable dependence on the mirror
- distort or restrict the driver's view if dirty
- are an easy target for vandals
- could cause damage to users of the road if the glass is broken
If you want to put a mirror on private land, the landowner must agree and planning permission may be necessary. Please contact your district or borough council for further advice.