Help for households through the ongoing cost of living pressures
The Government website has lots of resources and links to support you and your family at this time.
Suffolk Infolink details all the support in your community which is local to you and through various national charities and organisations. It also links to national and local websites providing advice and tips which you may find useful.
Benefits, money and debt
There is help available to support you
- Benefits and money advice
- Turn2Us - Advice and support to help maximise your income and manage your Budget
- Credit Unions - These can help you with affordable loans
- Citizens Advice - For free and impartial advice on all aspects to support you through difficulty
If you are struggling financially, there are grants available which you may be eligible to apply for which can help lessen the burden. The following support is administered by Suffolk County Council:
Household Support Fund
Local Welfare Assistance Scheme (LWAS)
Food and essentials
- Foodbanks in Suffolk - To note that some require referrals
- Find a pop-up or top up shop - These are for anyone struggling financially to buy food. No referral needed just bring an empty shopping bag. £2 a bag for lots of groceries available at various locations across Suffolk
- Period products are available for free through the Pride and Periods scheme in selected Suffolk Libraries
Fuel and energy
- Do you use Oil for your heating? Over 46,000 households in Suffolk do. You may benefit from Community Action Suffolk's community oil buying scheme. You can opt to receive the oil delivery and pay for it over 12 months to help spread the costs. For more information visit the Community Action Suffolk website.
- Oil buying clubs in Suffolk could help reduce the amount you pay as group buying yields better deals. Search for your nearest on the Oil Club website.
- The Government website has information on help that you could be entitled to which will help with energy bill payment
- The Warm Homes Suffolk programme helps Suffolk residents to make it cheaper to heat their homes through various energy efficiency measures
- Government support website - Help for Households
- Your local District or Borough Council will be able to support you with housing advice if you do not live in privately owned or rented property
What specific help is available where I live?
- Suffolk Infolink is a useful resource to add your postcode or home village/town name and the type of support you are looking for eg 'debt advice' so that you can see what support is available near to you.
- Babergh District Council
- East Suffolk Council - Ease the Squeeze
- Ipswich Borough Council
- Mid Suffolk District Council
- West Suffolk Council
Please be aware that scammers take advantage of people when they are vulnerable. You may find yourself more susceptible to scams when distracted and worried about your financial situation.
Follow Suffolk County Council's Trading Standards on social media to see the most up to date advice and scams circulating
- Like Suffolk Trading Standards on Facebook.
- Follow Suffolk Trading Standards on Twitter.
- Follow Suffolk Trading Standards on Instagram.
- Subscribe to Suffolk Trading Standards on YouTube.
Your mental health
Your mental health may suffer if you are worried about the cost of living pressures. We have advice and guidance to support you through the challenges on Suffolk Infolink.
It is important that you do not feel alone, and continuing connections in your local community can be helpful in keeping you active and involved. You can find groups, activities and support in your local area by adding your postcode in to Suffolk Infolink
- Meet up Mondays, Rural Coffee Caravan visits near you and Coffee and Friends events (CAFE)
- Suffolk Libraries - often the heart of a community, there are lots of reasons to visit your local library
- Anglia Care Trust's Reducing Living Costs leaflet
- Suffolk County Council's Cost of Living Support leaflet (including download copy and accessible version)
- Cost of living leaflet in Arabic (PDF, 342Kb)
- Cost of living leaflet in Lithuanian (PDF,42Kb)
- Cost of living leaflet in Portuguese (PDF,39Kb)
- Cost of living leaflet in Romanian (PDF, 42Kb)
- Cost of living leaflet in Russian (PDF, 152Kb)
- Cost of living leaflet in Ukrainian (PDF, 154Kb)
- Suffolk Public Health's Cost of Living dashboard - data on factors which affect residents facing hardship
- Suffolk County Council's Poverty Strategy and Action Plan