Traffic signs

Types of traffic signs provided by Suffolk County Council and district or borough councils and how to report a problem with a traffic sign in Suffolk.

Traffic signs are used to:

  • improve road safety
  • reduce accidents
  • direct and help road users

Signs we maintain include:

  • Directional signs (e.g. finger post, advance direction signs)
  • Information signs (e.g. unsuitable for HGVs)
  • Regulatory signs (e.g. speed limit, no stopping)
  • Public rights of way signs (e.g. footpath, bridleway)
  • Warning signs (e.g. upcoming bend, junction to left)
  • Parking signs (e.g. permit holders only)
  • Tourist signs (e.g. hotels, historic buildings)
  • Village or parish boundary name signs,including those combined with speed limit signs

Our staff use the Suffolk Highways Defect Response Matrices (PDF, 769KB) to identify whether repairs are necessary for different types of highway defect, and the timescales for completing repairs.

Mandatory signs which are missing or heavily obscured will be maintained as described in Matrix G.

Request an accessible format

Documents published on this page may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.

Report a problem

You can report a problem with a traffic sign maintained by us quickly and easily online using our Highways Reporting Tool.

If there is a problem with a lit sign, bollard, Belisha beacon or wig wag sign you must report a faulty lit sign or bollard.

Request for a new traffic signs

We do not have enough money to do everything we want to, or as quickly as we'd like. Because of this, we no longer have funds for traffic signs improvements. Therefore, we will only accept requests for new traffic signs which would be maintained by us (see list above) from the parish or town council for the location.

If a requested traffic sign is feasible, an estimate will be provided to the parish or town council for consideration and funding.

Signs that require our approval

There are some signs which are not maintained by us but do require our approval:

Signs provided by district, borough and town councils

District and borough councils are responsible for:

  • Street name plates
  • Signs for car parks they own or manage
  • Pedestrian finger post signs

Signs that are not on public roads may be subject to planning permission which must be requested through the district and borough council for the location.

All signs on public roads must follow the Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2002 or be specifically authorised by the Department for Transport. More information can be found in the Highway Code.


Find out how to contact Customer Services quickly and securely using live chat.

You can also find options to help yourself online, and phone us if needed.