Keep clear and yellow box markings

We provide road markings to help prevent obstruction by waiting or parked vehicles.

Report a problem

You can report a missing or faded road markings quickly and easily online using our Highways Reporting Tool.

We can provide the following road markings where regular obstruction problems occur:

Type of markingWhere it is usedWhy it is used
White 'Keep Clear' marking* Roads where queuing drivers block a side road Indicates where a road should be kept clear of waiting or parked vehicles to allow access to side roads.
Yellow box marking Roads where traffic blocks a junction Indicates that a road must be kept clear of waiting or queuing vehicles to allow access to side road.

Traffic enforcement

We are not responsible for enforcing traffic and parking regulations in Suffolk. You should report problems with illegally or inconsiderately parked vehicles to the Suffolk Police or call 101 for help. 

You can find more information on our parking enforcement page.

Frequently Asked Questions

Cars are always parking outside my house. Can I stop them?

If these vehicles are legally parked, taxed and not causing an obstruction then they are entitled to park there, even though it is outside your property. If vehicles are parked illegally, contact Suffolk Police (call 101).

At school opening and closing times parents picking up their children stop me parking my car near my house. Can anything be done?

Because it is a short term problem very little can be done. Enforcement of parking restrictions is carried out by Suffolk Police and they are unlikely to have the resources to attend school premises twice a day, 5 days a week to make sure that waiting restrictions are observed.

What can be done to stop vehicles parking on the pavement?

We have no legal powers to stop this happening - it is an enforcement matter for Suffolk Police (call 101). In Ipswich, Ipswich Borough Council have Civil Parking Enforcement powers and their Civil Parking Enforcement Officers can issue penalty charge notices where footway crossings have been blocked - please contact Ipswich Borough Council Parking Services on Ipswich (01473) 432843.

Live Chat Software by Click4Assistance UK