Teachers from outside the UK

If you’ve trained as a teacher outside the UK you may still be able to teach in our schools without further training. Find out what options are open to you.

If you’ve qualified as a teacher in:

  • a European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland, you can apply direct to the NCTL Teacher Services for qualified teacher status
  • Canada, United States, Australia or New Zealand, and completed a period of induction there, you can apply directly to the NCTL Teacher Services for qualified teacher status

Teachers trained in other countries outside of the EEA may teach in state maintained schools and non-maintained special schools in England but should apply to gain Qualified Teacher Status (QTS).

All teachers from overseas must satisfy any UK Border Agency requirements for remaining in the UK to work as a teacher.

DfE: Get into teaching

Find out more information about teaching in the UK on the Get into Teaching website (DfE) or go to our information on Assessment Only, if you know you will need to gain QTS to teach in the UK.

Search for teaching jobs

Contact us

Email teachsuffolk@schoolschoice.org with any questions about teaching in Suffolk.