- can apply online for free school meals (green button below). If your school is an academy, they may not accept online applications, and you may need to speak directly to your school
- will get an immediate response and confirmation email after you've completed your application
How to apply online for free school meals
If you have not been allocated a school place for your child yet, please wait for confirmation of this place before you apply for free school meals.
If your child is eligible for and has been registered to receive free school meals between 1 April 2018 and the end of the rollout of Universal Credits (currently expected to be until March 2023), they will remain eligible until they finish the phase of schooling (primary or secondary) they are in at the end of Universal Credits rollout. This is regardless of any change to your circumstances.
If your child is already in receipt of free school meals and has moved to a secondary school in September 2022 (year 7), there is no current need to reapply at this stage as they will remain eligible at their new school.
If your child is attending a nursery school:
- they must be in a maintained school nursery as a registered pupil at the school
- your child must be in receipt of education before and after lunch on the same day
- you must be in receipt of a qualifying benefit (as described below)
- you should apply online by clicking the green button below.
Note: You will not be able to apply over the phone because you need to provide an email address, password and sign the declaration stating that you have parental responsibility.
Beware of Scammers
Suffolk County Council will never ask for your personal bank details.