Homelessness and housing support

What to do if you’re at risk of becoming homeless, you’re already homeless or need emergency accommodation.

Help with supported accommodation

Housing related support aims to enable vulnerable people (including young people from aged 16) to gain or regain the necessary skills to enable them to live independently and participate in their community.

Service Types

Core Service

The core service is the main housing related support service, where time limited, accommodation based support will be offered to eligible individuals. Access could come from an evaluation bed or directly from the HRS Gateway, when it is clear that housing related support is the most appropriate route for the individual.

You can apply for supported accommodation if you have extra support needs. These could include:

  • mental health
  • alcohol and substance misuse
  • criminal convictions

You’ll also need to be either:

  • sleeping rough
  • sofa surfing
  • in emergency accommodation 
  • have been asked to leave your current accommodation and have nowhere to go

Any accommodation found will be in a hostel, a shared house or similar in Suffolk.

You’ll need to pay for accommodation with benefits, Universal Credit or your own funds.

Find out how to apply for housing related support

Homelessness support

If you’re already homeless contact your local district or borough council:

If you meet  immigration and residence rules, they must try to help you find somewhere to live.

You can use the postcode checker on GOV.UK if you’re not sure who to contact.

If you see someone who is homeless and needs support, use StreetLink to alert local services.

Someone who's under 18

If you need emergency accommodation call 0808 800 4005 to speak to Suffolk County Council Customer First or the Emergency Duty Team (evenings and weekends).