Benefits, money and debt advice

Find out how benefits can support you to live independently, and where to get help with bills and debt advice.
Older man holding bills

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Benefits and housing factsheet (PDF, 525KB) to help you during the COVID-19 pandemic.


You may be able to claim benefits if you need more support to live independently.

People who may be eligible to claim benefits include:

  • job seekers
  • low-income families
  • carers
  • disabled people

Benefits are paid by the central government, not your local council.

You can read more about how benefits work on GOV.UK.

If you're not sure if you'd be able to claim benefits, you can use a benefits calculator to find out.

Help with bills

If you're vulnerable and struggling to pay your energy bills, you could find help from Warm Homes Healthy People.

WHHP may be able to help with:

  • grants towards better insulating and draft proofing your home
  • electric heaters and financial assistance if your heater or boiler have stopped working
  • an emergency fuel payment direct to your heating supplier

Benefits advice

There are organisations which can support you with benefits advice, including;

You can also find other money advice services on our Suffolk InfoLink website. 

They can help you with advice about:

  • your legal rights
  • managing your money
  • how to deal with financial problems