As an Elected Councillor, I am a data controller and accountable for the processing of personal information in connection with requests received from constituents. I am registered on the Data Protection Public Register which is kept by the Information Commissioner’s Office.
Personal data includes information about living individuals who can be identified from the data that is held about them. I may need to collect personal data from you so that I can process requests for assistance or respond to your enquiries. I will only collect the minimum amount of personal data needed to provide you with relevant information, services or support.
What information will I ask for?
When you ask for my help and assistance, I will usually need to collect your name, address and contact information together with details of the problem or concern.
Lawful basis for processing
Under data protection law, I must have a valid lawful basis for processing your data. I will usually rely on one of the following bases:
- consent – you have given your consent for me to process your personal data for a specific purpose
- public task – where the processing of your data is necessary for me to perform a task in the public interest or for my official functions as an elected representative and the task or function has a clear basis in law
- legitimate interests – where the data processing is necessary for my legitimate interests as an elected representative or the legitimate interests of a third party unless there is a good reason to protect the individual’s personal data which overrides those legitimate interests
Who will I share your information with?
I may need to pass your personal details and the circumstances of your query/complaint to third parties so that they can look into the matters you have raised. These third parties may include: Suffolk County Council, other local authorities, government agencies, public bodies, health trusts and regulators.
Apart from the above, I will not pass your personal details on to anyone else unless I am required to do so in particular circumstances. These circumstances may include: court proceedings, detection and/or prevention of crime or fraud, to protect a child and to protect a vulnerable adult.
Please note: if you specifically ask me not to disclose information identifying you to other third parties, it may not be possible for me to progress your requests or queries on an anonymous basis.
Keeping your data safe
I will take reasonable security measures to ensure personal information within my control is protected from accidental loss or alteration, inappropriate access, misuse or theft.
How long is your data kept?
I will only keep your personal data for as long as I need it to fulfil my obligations, and to comply with any legal requirements for keeping certain types of data.
You have several rights regarding your personal data, these are:
- Access to records: you can ask for copies of information I hold about you.
- Correction of inaccurate information: if you think information I hold about you is inaccurate or incomplete you can ask for this to be corrected.
- Portability: you can ask me to provide any electronic data I may hold about you in a format that allows you to transfer it to another organisation.
- Right to be forgotten: you can ask for your personal information to be deleted or removed in some circumstances.
- Objections: you can ask me to stop processing your information for certain purposes, such as direct marketing.
- Restrictions: you can ask me to restrict the processing of your data.
Automated decision making and profiling: you are entitled to protection against damaging decisions being made about you due to automated processes based on digital or other information I hold, and without human intervention, except for some situations where this is authorised by law.
If you are dissatisfied with how I have used your personal information, you can complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office.
If you are dissatisfied with how I have used your personal information whilst transacting business for the Council, please contact the Data Protection Manager:Suffolk County CouncilConstantine House5 Constantine RoadIpswichIP1 2DB