Diversion routes for road closures

Find out about diversion routes which have been put in place when roads are closed.

Roads are closed when there is no safe alternative way of carrying out roadworks, including using temporary traffic lights or "stop/go" boards. Closures can also be put in place for events on the highway such as sporting events, markets and processions, and for incidents and emergencies. Sometimes road closures are put in place to prevent traffic congestion when joining a road where works exist, for example where one end of the closed road intersects where traffic may be queued at temporary traffic lights.

When a road is closed, a diversion route must be put in place to guide vehicles from one end of the closure to the other, and the route traffic is diverted round must be signed to guide traffic. Occasionally diversion routes for different road closures cross over each other and in these cases, a symbol is placed on the signs on one of the routes so highway users know which signs to follow.

The following information provides the answers to frequently asked questions we receive when road closures and diversions are put in place.

Access will be maintained to properties within the closure however, there may be a short delay while the site is made safe to enable access to or from your property, for example to cover excavations or move equipment. Pedestrians and cyclists are able to access properties/businesses within a road closure area, although cyclists may be asked to dismount.

There may be times when access is only available from one side of closure due to open excavations or ongoing works, gatemen on site will advise you on how to safely enter/exit the working area, which may require you to follow the diversion route in place.

If you have any concerns about accessing your property or you would like additional information signs advising people that businesses are open as usual, please raise these directly with the organisation carrying out the works. You can find details on one.network.

We send all agreed closures and information regarding the diversion routes to Fire, Police and Ambulance Services in advance of road closures (except if they have to be implemented as a result of an emergency situation).

Details of works and diversion routes are also maintained on one.network.

Our Passenger Transport team is consulted during the road closure application process.

They do their best to maintain regular bus services, but in instances where it is not possible to maintain a service, the bus stops will be suspended and the bus will be diverted.

Please refer to Suffolk on Board news for information on diversions and suspensions.

Our Passenger Transport team is consulted during the road closure application process.

They do their best to maintain school transport, but if this is not possible, alternative arrangements will be made and users of those services will be notified.

Please let us know by contacting our Customer Service team - please select Highways in the list of services.  

There are a number of reasons a site can be closed whilst no works are taking place. However, if you feel a road is unnecessarily closed please let us know by contacting our Customer Service team - please select Highways in the list of services.

You can find out how to apply to close a road on this website.

Contact Customer Services quickly and easily by webchat

  • Your questions will be answered quicker on webchat.
  • Open Monday to Friday 9am to 4:30pm (excluding bank holidays).

Click the webchat button in the right-hand corner of your screen.

Alternatively, you can email your enquiry to customer.services@suffolk.gov.uk.