Skip to main content

Making a complaint about a councillor

Submit a complaint to the Monitoring Officer if you're unhappy with the conduct of a county councillor in Suffolk.

You can make a complaint if you suspect that a councillor has breached their Code of Conduct (PDF, 229 KB). Your complaint must be clear about why you think that a councillor has not followed the Code of Conduct. 

The Monitoring Officer, in consultation with an independent person, handles complaints about councillors. They do not handle complaints about issues outside of the Code of Conduct.

How to make a complaint

Before you make a complaint please read these guidance notes.

You can download, print and fill in a Code of Conduct complaint form (Word, 85KB) and send this to the Monitoring Officer:

Equality monitoring form

We also ask that you complete an online equality monitoring form.

You can download, print and fill in an equality monitoring form (Word, 50KB) and send this to the Councillor Services.

After making the complaint

We'll carry out an initial assessment within 20 working days of receipt of your complaint.

Read our complaints flowchart (PDF, 95KB) to see the full procedure.

For more information or further queries, please call 01473 265119 (Monday to Friday from 9:30am to 4pm).