Homelessness and housing support

What to do if you’re at risk of becoming homeless, you’re already homeless or need emergency accommodation for tonight.

Support in rented or mortgaged accommodation

You can get help from a support worker and other agencies to help solve your housing issues if you’re:

  • at risk of being evicted
  • behind with paying your rent or mortgage
  • struggling with budgeting, paying bills or finding it hard to manage your home
  • at risk of losing your home for any other reason

Find out how to apply for housing related support.

Help with supported accommodation

You can apply for supported accommodation if you have extra support needs. These could include:

  • mental health
  • alcohol and substance misuse
  • criminal convictions

You’ll also need to be either:

  • sleeping rough
  • sofa surfing
  • in emergency accommodation 
  • have been asked to leave your current accommodation and have nowhere to go

Any accommodation found will be in a hostel, a shared house or similar in Suffolk.

You’ll need to pay for accommodation with benefits, Universal Credit or your own funds.

Find out how to apply for housing related support

Homelessness support

If you’re already homeless contact your local district or borough council:

If you meet  immigration and residence rules, they must try to help you find somewhere to live.

You can use the postcode checker on GOV.UK if you’re not sure who to contact.

If you see someone who is homeless and needs support, use StreetLink to alert local services.

Emergency accommodation for tonight

Bury St Edmunds

  • Genesis Housing Grove Park (18+ years)
  • 01284 723839


  • Genesis Housing Buregate Road (18+ years)
  • 01394 670476


  • Genesis Housing Cavendish Lodge (18+ years)
  • 01473 219155


  • Genesis Housing Trafalgar House (18+ years)
  • 01502 564381

If you need emergency accommodation and are under 18 call 0808 800 4005 to speak to Customer First or the Emergency Duty Team.