What is a personal assistant?
A personal assistant is someone who you employ to provide you with care and support.
The role is also called sometimes called a 'personal care assistant'.
Personal assistants may be employed to help you with things like:
- managing your personal care
- preparing food or taking medication
- keeping you safe at home
- supporting you to go out to do things that you enjoy
They may be paid for either:
- privately by yourself or your family
- through a direct payment from Suffolk County Council
You may be able to find an agency who you can pay to provide you with a personal assistant. This is different from a home care service.
You can find out how direct payments work on our page about personal budgets.
Employing a personal assistant
If you choose to employ a personal assistant, you will have responsibilities as their employer.