Apply to close a road for an event

You need to apply for a Special Events Order to close a road for an event in Suffolk.

Some web browsers will not support online payments from Thursday 15 February 2018. Check if you need to update your browser.

There is a non-refundable processing fee of £50 for a standard event application, even if the application isn't approved.

If your application is approved, there may be other charges such as the cost of traffic management.

You don't need to pay for: 

  • a road closure or restriction on a no through road
  • Remembrance Day events
  • civic events organised by a Government organisation
  • parades, for example, St George's Day parade

We need 3 months notice from receipt of a complete application.

Download an application form

We prefer events to be held off the public highway and ask you to consider this option thoroughly.

Use the Street Works register on to see if your event clashes with any other events or roadworks. If it does, you may need to re-consider the date of your event.

You need to:

  • ask everyone affected to make sure there are no objections (including residents, businesses, local councils, emergency services)
  • have a plan for resolving any problems that arise from your discussions with third parties
  • create a map showing where your closure is and proposed diversion
  • confirm your traffic management (must include chapter 8 accreditation)

Resources to support your application:

Sending your application

Email: - your application won't be processed until payment is received.

By post to: 

Network Assurance
Phoenix House 
3 Goddard Road 

There is a non-refundable processing fee of £50 for a standard event application, even if the application isn't approved.

You can make your payment online here.

Please note: although the online payment system says "incl. VAT" there is no VAT included in this service as it is a zero rated supply.

When the application is approved we will complete your legal order and send it to you using the email or postal address you provided.

If a street you want to close has been restricted in the last 12 months we must gain approval from the Secretary of State to restrict it again. This can take up to 4 weeks upon receipt of the application from  us.

Managing traffic at your event

To enforce an order you receive from us you will need to use signs to direct traffic around your event. In some cases accredited marshals can be used to direct traffic.

It is a criminal offence to place objects on the public highway without an approved legal order.

Have a plan for managing traffic affected by your event; and contact a traffic management company or enlist an CSAS accredited company (PDF, 106KB) to display signs for your event and a possible diversion route.

You don't need to tell us if your event is not on the public highway or will have no impact on the highway.

You need to tell the local borough or district council if you want to provide entertainment, serve food or alcohol.

Contact Customer Service quickly and easily by web chat

  • Your questions about will be answered quicker on web chat.
  • Open Monday to Friday 9am to 4.30pm; excluding bank holidays.

Click chat with us in the right hand corner of your screen.

Live Chat Software by Click4Assistance UK