You must to check the Suffolk Police guidance before you plan your route and notify them using the details on their site.
You must provide an indemnity to the highway authority for any vehicle over 44 tonnes.
The completed notice form should be emailed to AIL@suffolk.gov.uk.Download the form
Before you apply
The regulations regarding the movement of abnormal loads are contained in The Road Vehicles (Authorisation of Special Types) (General) Order 2003.
Abnormal load vehicles exceed one or more of the following:
- 18.75 metres long
- 2.9 metres wide
- 44 tonnes total weight
- an axle load of 11.5 tonnes
To complete this form you will need to know the:
- time and date of the journey
- address you are leaving from, going to, and your route
- type of vehicle and registration number
- vehicles dimensions, including axle weight, spacing and wheels per axle
- load profile and description
We need notice of your intention to travel if your load is:
- over 44 tonnes – two clear days notification
- over 80 tonnes – five clear days notification
Contact Customer Service quickly and easily by web chat
- Your questions will be answered quicker on web chat.
- Open Monday to Friday 9am to 4.30pm; excluding bank holidays.
Click chat with us in the right hand corner of your screen.