In August 2011 the New Anglia Local Enterprise Partnership (NALEP) bid to create one of the UK's 21 enterprise zone in Lowestoft and Great Yarmouth was accepted by Government.
This offers Lowestoft and Great Yarmouth to make the most of opportunities presented by the growing offshore wind industry, delivering jobs and regeneration to the two towns.
The bid was developed by public-private partnership the Norfolk and Suffolk Energy Alliance (NSEA) which includes:
- Local Chambers of Commerce
- East of England Energy Group
- Great Yarmouth Borough Council
- Norfolk County Council
- Suffolk County Council
- Waveney District Council
- Energy is the key economic sector for the enterprise zone.
- The enterprise zone is made up of six sites; two in Great Yarmouth, three in Lowestoft and one in Beccles.
- These sites will benefit from a business rate discount for eligible businesses for five years, simplified planning procedures and greater Government support for high speed broadband.
- 9,000 new jobs are forecast for the Enterprise Zone by 2025, with a further 4,500 indirect jobs created, helping to reduce local unemployment.
- Enterprise zone bid summary document, including maps (PDF, 4 MB)
- Detailed overview of the enterprise zone (PDF, 193 KB)
- Key facts published by New Anglia (PDF, 187 KB)
- Government information on enterprise zones