To find out more or have a chat about what opportunities are available in your area, please contact the Suffolk Leadership and Governance Team on firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01473 263972.
Why govern in Suffolk?
Could you use your experience to benefit a local school by becoming a school governor?
Watch our school governor case studies to find out how people from around the county have put their skills in to a Suffolk school.
Why become a school governor
As a governor you can:
- make a difference in your local community
- develop your skills and experience
- improve your knowledge about the education sector
Find out more about the benefits of becoming a school governor and how the local authority can help you:
- School governor case studies
- Why become a school governor in Suffolk? (PDF, 113KB)
- Governance facts (PDF, 39KB)
What you need to know about becoming a school governor
A good governor should:
- gain a good understanding of the school’s strengths and weaknesses
- contribute to the strategic discussions at governing body meetings
- hold the senior leaders to account by monitoring the school’s performance
Read in more detail about what governors are expected to do (PDF, 51KB).
If you have any questions about school governance, contact the Suffolk Leadership and Governance Team by emailing email@example.com or calling 01473 263972.
How to become a school governor
- Register your interest in becoming a school governor, or download and fill out the governor application form (Word, 50KB) and email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Governance team at Suffolk County Council will contact you to discuss your options.
- Agree your first, second and third choice school.
- The Leadership and Governance team will then contact your first choice school.
- A meeting will be arranged with the Chair of the Governing body which will include a general discussion about the governing body, recent successes, challenges and a tour of the school.
- You will be given the option to sit in on a full governing body meeting.
- If you would like to join this governing body you will need to provide your references and carry out the necessary checks, including DBS.
- Congratulations, you've become a school governor and can start putting your skills into a Suffolk school.