Apply for a body of persons licence

Apply for a body of persons licence for school age children; what you'll need to apply and what's allowed under a body of persons licence.

A body of persons licence allows children to perform in amateur productions without a child performance licence.

The licence is only issued to a group of responsible adults such as a youth organisation, amateur dramatics club or church.

Children must always be supervised by a licensed chaperone who's allowed to look after a maximum of 12 children.

The licence is only valid for a single production.

You'll need to complete two documents:

Download the application form

You'll need the:

  • names and dates of birth of all young people who are performing
  • name of the school each child attends
  • venues and dates of performances
  • details of the licensed chaperones at the performance

Further information

Licencing good practice guide for voluntary amateur dramatic organisations.

Suffolk Byelaws on the Employment of Children 1998.

You must keep records of each young person who performs for 6 months after the last performance and these should be submitted to the Child Employment office.

Under a body of persons licence a child can only perform if they:

  • receive no payment
  • don't take time off from school for a performance
  • perform fewer than six days out of seven, or five days if there is a mix of rehearsals and performances
  • don't take part in a performance that lasts for more than 3 hours and 30 minutes or perform for more than 2 hours and 30 minutes
  • don't take part in more than two performances, or one performance and one rehearsal in a day
  • take a break of 1 hour and 30 minutes between two performances or rehearsals on the same day; this break can be reduced to 45 minutes on two days a week as long as the child is not at the place of performance for more than 6 hours
  • have a break of 14 hours between each day they perform and / or rehearse
  • perform between 10:00am and 10.00pm if they are under 13 years old, or between 10:00am and 10:30 pm if they are older than 13

Young people must also be supervised by a licensed chaperone who's allowed to look after a maximum of 12 children.

Call the Child Employment office on 01473 265195.


Child Employment Office
Suffolk County Council
Endeavour House
8 Russell Road