Some of the records we hold go back to the 12th century, but not everything is old. You'll also find items from recent times relating to individuals and a wide range of organisations, such as the County Council, local authorities, churches, chapels, estates, schools, hospitals, businesses, families, clubs and societies. We preserve them all - from parchments to CD-ROMs - and keep them safe for when you want to see them.
How to use and find your nearest office
- Change to opening hours from 1 October 2014. We will be closed to the public on Wednesdays and Sundays but offering a full archive productions service on Saturdays. See Contact page for more details
- Launch of Manorial Documents Register Project: 22 November 2014 - see events page for more details
- Cabinet to consider options for the future of Suffolk Record Office - see The Future of Suffolk's heritage services for the most recent news
- Suffolk Record Office outreach programme - Autumn 2014 (pdf, 3.9Mb)
- Free wifi now available at Lowestoft Record Office
Suffolk Heritage Direct
Explore an amazing range of material about the history of Suffolk and its people. Suffolk Heritage Direct (external site) is a fully searchable and interactive catalogue from the databases of the Suffolk Record Office, Britten Pears Library, some museums and Archaeology Services. It includes images of objects, artefacts, photographs and documents, resources for teachers and lifelong learners and key contacts for heritage organisations.
Ancestry (external site - Ancestry Library Edition can be accessed for free from computers in Suffolk Record Office branches but not from home)
Find My Past (external site)
19th Century Newspapers (external site)
Online reference resources (external site - for other subscription databases such as Who's Who and the Dictionary of National Biography)
Local studies books (external site - can be found on Suffolk libraries catalogue)
What is in the section
Survey of sports records in Suffolk in 2012
Welcome to Buy a Print - a service which offers a range of attractive prints selected from our collections for you to buy.
- Buy A Print: Suffolk Towns and Villages
- Buy a Print: Country Animals
- Buy a Print: Fruit and Flowers
- Buy a Print: Information on ordering, sizes, price, delivery and the terms and conditions
- Buy a Print: Military prints
- Buy a Print: Suffolk Churches
- Buy a Print: Suffolk Maps
- Explore Buy a Print further
Where we are and how to get in touch
Be part of history...
Details of courses, talks, walks and workshop sessions arranged by the Suffolk Record Office
Frequently Asked Questions regarding the Suffolk Record Office
The Friends are people who use the Record Office, or who wish to help in its work of preserving Suffolk's incomparable archival heritage.
Details of the Suffolk Record Office opening hours during holidays
Information about leaflets, online catalogues and other resources that will help you when using the Suffolk Record Office.
Services provided by Suffolk Record Office
London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games and the Cultural Olympiad
Guidelines on how to trace your family history
Guidance on which branch you need for your research