The scheme which is proposed to be opened during 2020 will improve journey time reliability and road safety in the area and improve access to the Eye Airfield Development Area.
The improvements include:
- two new roundabout junctions on the A140 at Castleton Way and south of Rectory Road
- a link road through to B1077
- restricted movements at the A140/B1077 junction: prohibit right turns in and out
- closure of the A140/Rectory Road junction
Download a map showing details of the proposed improvements (PDF, 497KB).
The aims are to:
- improve journey time reliability
- improve road safety: there are accident clusters at A140/B1077 and A140/Rectory Road – reducing use and prohibiting movements will improve road safety here. Minimising number of priority accesses along the stretch will also reduce the risk of collisions
- enable development on Eye Airfield
See illustrations of the proposed junction improvements:
In 2017 Suffolk County Council successfully bid for a £3.75 million National Productivity Investment Fund grant from the Department for Transport. This was followed in 2018 by a successful bid for £1.45 million to the New Anglia LEP.
Through local match funding, Suffolk County Council will provide the balance for the scheme.