Street party frequently asked questions

Advice and guidance to help you manage your street party to celebrate the Queen's Platinum Jubilee.

Most local authorities do not ask for public liability insurance cover for a small residential street party. However, if you or your council think insurance would be a good idea you might find it helpful to go to Streets Alive and The Big Lunch for further advice.

Quotes for insurance start from as little as £50. The costs can always be split between residents, or you could hold a raffle or ask for donations to cover the costs.

Road closures for street parties are for your local authority to agree. Government has recently withdrawn central guidance on road closures – which had caused confusion on what could and could not be done locally – so it is now much easier for local authorities and local communities to work together to decide what works best for them.

Most local authorities do not ask for a risk plan for small street parties, but you may wish to think about how you can minimise the risk of things going wrong and have a backup plan, for example:

  • what would you do if there was bad weather?
  • Can you use plastic plates and cups rather than glass?
  • Have you made sure an adult is in charge of the barbeque etc.

No. Licences are only required if alcohol is sold. At a private party, sharing drinks with your neighbours does not require a licence. If you did want to sell alcohol, you will need to contact your local District or Borough council for a Temporary Events Notice form.

No. If your street party is a private party for residents and the music is not advertised in advance to attract people, and you’re not making money then there is no need for a licence for your music, whether it’s live or recorded.

No. As a private party, you do not need a licence under the Licensing Act 2003 to sell food (unless you wanted to only sell hot food and drink after 11pm).

Remember you can always ask your neighbours to bake a cake, make a sandwich or bring food to share with one another. This is also a good way to bring different groups of people together.

Probably not. If the tombola/raffle tickets are sold on the day and the prizes are not worth more than £500 in total then it will be exempt from gambling regulations (however, if tickets are sold in advance of the event, you will need a lottery registration but do speak to your council first).

Any proceeds from the tombola/raffle must go to a good cause such as charity or even covering the cost of your party. Alternatively, if you did want to raise some money for your local church or charity, you can always ask people for donations.

Yes, you will need to clean up after your street party. It’s your street, your party, so keep your local area clean and tidy.

Let people know in advance what time the party will finish and have a section set aside for bin bags and recycling.