Changes to the extent of highway

Information and application guidance for removing the highway rights from a section of highway.

It is possible for areas of highway to be 'stopped up', a process where the highway rights are removed and control over the land reverts to the freehold or leasehold owner of the subsoil. This can be done to allow for development (as long as appropriate planning permission has been obtained) or to remove sections of highway that are unnecessary for public use.

View our List of Streets for information about streets currently maintainable by Suffolk County Council. 

Stopping up highway to allow for development

When developing land it is possible to apply for a stopping up order under Section 247 of the Town & Country Planning Act 1990.

  • For the application to be successful the applicant has to have applied for, and obtained, planning permission.
  • The National Transport Casework Team then reviews the application to decide whether to grant a stopping up order for the section of highway.
  • If the application is successful then the works, for which planning permission has been granted, can be undertaken.  

For the application form and further guidance please visit the Department for Transport's website.

Stopping up highway that is unnecessary for public use

Areas of public highway sometimes become unnecessary for public use and the highway rights can then be 'stopped up' under Section 116 of the Highways Act 1980

Should you wish to enquire about permanently 'stopping up' an area of highway that is unnecessary for public use please contact us for advice: 

            Highway Records,
            Suffolk Highways
            3 Goddard Road
            IP1 5NP.

For more information about this process please read the stopping up application guidance.