You can apply to renew a Blue Badge for yourself, or on behalf of someone else if they are a resident in Suffolk.
If your previous badge was issued by another Local Authority, you'll need to apply for a Blue Badge as a new applicant.
You must return any expired badges and/or your current badge to us once it has expired. If you display your renewed badge before your current badge expires, you could incur a fine as you must not use it until its date of validity
Once Renewal Badges have been approved and paid for, they are issued in priority order based on the expiry date of your current Blue Badge.
You may be asked to attend an Independent Mobility Assessment to support your application, which could extend the time taken to process your badge. If this is the case, you will be notified by letter offering an appointment date.
If you fail to attend your appointment your application will be cancelled and you may be charged a fee.
Click the green Start button below to begin the renewal process.
Before you begin please ensure you have read the eligibility criteria in the tab below.Start
Automatic entitlement criteria
You are automatically eligible for a Blue Badge if you meet 1 of the following conditions:
- You are registered severely sight impaired
- You receive the War Pensioner's Mobility Supplement
- You have received a lump sum benefit under the Armed Forces (Compensation) Scheme within tariff levels 1-8 (inclusive), and been certified as having a permanent and substantial disability which causes an inability or very considerable difficulty to walk
- You receive the Personal Independence Payment Mobility Component and your “moving around” score is 8 points or more*
- You receive the higher rate of the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance (Attendance Allowance and Personal Carer’s Allowance do not form part of our automatic entitlement criteria)*
*Please send us a copy of your award entitlement dated within the last 12 months. If you're unable to find this please contact the Department for Work and Pensions on 0800 121 4600 to request a new entitlement letter.
We will not be able to process your application without the correct documentation.
We have special rules for people who are terminally ill (this means people who have a progressive disease and are not expected to live for more than 6 months).
Your application will need to be supported by a specialist nurse or consultant; this could be in the form of a previously issued letter or a copy of your DS1500 (if issued).
Discretionary entitlement criteria
You may be eligible for a badge if you have a permanent and substantial disability and you:
- are unable to walk or have a physical disability that means you are unable to walk very far without experiencing severe discomfort and or breathlessness
- drive a motor vehicle regularly, have a severe disability in both arms, and are unable to operate all or some types of parking meter.
Children under 3
A parent of a child under 3 years of age may apply for a badge if the child has a specific medical condition which means that at least one of the following applies:
- They must always be accompanied by bulky medical equipment which can't be carried around easily
- They need to be kept near a vehicle at all times, so that, if necessary, they can be treated in the vehicle, or quickly driven to a place where they can be treated
Now you've read our eligibility criteria, you can go to our online renewal form.
If your badge was issued by Suffolk County Council you must renew it in the 12 week period before the expiry date.
If your badge is due to expire within the next 12 weeks and you haven't received your renewal letter please contact 0808 800 4005 (option 2).
If your existing blue badge was not issued by Suffolk County Council please contact 0808 800 4005 (option 2).
If you are renewing a Blue Badge issued after 1 January 2012 you:
- only need to provide proof of identity if you have changed your name and/or identity in the last 3 years
- only need to provide proof of address if you have moved within the last 3 years
- only need to provide a new colour photograph if the picture on your present badge is not a true likeness and/or you would not be easily identified as the badge holder by an enforcement officer
If you are applying under our automatic criteria, you will need to provide photocopied evidence of your mobility benefit:
Photocopy of Certificate of Vision Impairment showing the applicant is severely sight impaired
Personal Independence Payment (PIP) award letter: it must be dated within the last 12 months and it must include the front page and the page showing you receive 8 points or more under the ‘moving around’ descriptor in the ‘mobility component’ section
Higher Rate Mobility Component of Disability Living Allowance award letter (not Higher Rate of Personal Carer’s Allowance for Attendance Allowance)
War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement award letter
- Armed Forces and Reserve Forces (Compensation) Scheme within tariff levels 1-8 (inclusive) award letter
The easiest way to provide these is to send us scanned copies via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
There is a £10 charge for a Blue Badge. We will ask for payment if your application is successful - so please don't send payment with your evidence.
Returning your expired badge
If you are renewing a Blue Badge that has expired, please return the expired badge to us via post to:Blue Badge Team
Suffolk County Council
PO Box 258
Providing an email address
Including an email address can save us time when processing your application.
If you, or the person applying on your behalf, are able to provide an email address we will use this to contact you if we require any more information to speed up the decision process regarding your badge.
We will also use the email address provided to let applicants know if their application has been successful, and to request payment for the badge.
It can take up to 6 weeks to process your application and issue the Blue Badge.
If you don't hear anything from us during this time frame it's because we're still dealing with your application, even if you've sent us payment.
If we need any more information from you regarding your application, we'll contact you - you do not need to contact us.
If you are renewing your Blue Badge and your application has been approved, please note, as detailed in The Blue Badge scheme: rights and responsibilities in England booklet which was sent to you with your current badge, you must return any expired badges and/or your current badge once it expires to us immediately.
This helps us ensure this valuable parking scheme is not abused by anyone who is not entitled to benefit from it.
If you would like us to send you a pre-paid envelope, please contact us by one of the following methods:
- on our Freephone number 0808 800 4005 (option 2)
- email us at email@example.com
Alternatively, you can hand your badge/s in personally to any of the following offices:
- Bury St Edmunds Registration Office, 7 Angel Hill, Bury St Edmunds
- Ipswich Register Office, St Peter House, 16 Grimwade Street, Ipswich
- Stowmarket Town Council, Milton Road, Stowmarket
- Sudbury Town Hall, Market Hill, Sudbury
- Suffolk Coastal District Council, Woodbridge Library, New Street, Woodbridge
- Suffolk Coastal District Council, Felixstowe Library, Crescent Road, Felixstowe
- Waveney District Council, Marina Centre, Marina, Lowestoft
- Ipswich Borough Council Customer Services Centre, Princes Street, Ipswich IP1 1BZ. Drop-off service only.
This office is only to be used as a drop off service, where your application / documentation / expired badge/s will be sent securely to the Blue Badge Team. If you would like your application and/or documentation verified then please visit Ipswich Register Office, Grimwade Street.
The office will then send your details through to us via a secure method.
Helpful contact numbers
- Department for Work and Pensions: 0800 121 4600
- Personal Independence Payment: 0800 121 4433
- Service Personnel and Veterans Agency: 0800 169 2277