Apply for a dropped kerb

How to apply for a dropped kerb or to alter a dropped kerb in Suffolk; how much it costs to apply for a dropped kerb and what's required before you apply.

A dropped kerb allows vehicles to enter a driveway from the road without damaging the pavement.

You legally need permission from us to work on a publicly maintained highway for:

  • a new dropped kerb
  • extending or changing an existing dropped kerb

Application fee

The cost for processing your application is £100 payable by cheque to Suffolk County Council.

Planning permission

You'll need to get planning permission before submitting your application. 

The fee of £100 will not be refunded even if you aren't successful in either getting planning permission (if required) or permission to build the dropped kerb. 

Accredited contractors

You're responsible for the cost of providing or altering the vehicular access. Contact a accredited contractors (PDF, 76KB) to get a quote for the work.

Specification drawings for a dropped kerb

Choose from the list of specification drawings you or your trade person / contractor needs to check for building a dropped kerb. 

Download the application form (PDF, 271KB)

Your contractor must have accreditation and public liability insurance to excavate or work on the highway.

Should a neighbouring property already have a dropped crossing please do not assume that permission will be granted automatically if you make a similar request.  Owing to problems with some previously granted requests the criteria against which applications are considered have been revised (in particular the depth of garden required).

You may require planning permission from the district and borough council if the dropped kerb:

  • leads to an A, B, or C class road
  • is within a Conservation Area or is connected to a listed building
  • provides access to commercial or industrial premises with more than one dwelling
  • includes an area that needs paving is more the 5 sqm

You must obtain this planning permission before submitting your application for a dropped kerb.

Tenants of rented properties must get permission from their landlord before applying for a dropped kerb.

Other types of requests

For access to the A11, A14 or some parts of the A12 contact Highways England.

If you are considering surfacing your front garden to provide a hard standing for vehicles read the guidance on the surfacing of front gardens on the Communities and Local Government website.

Send your completed application form and cheque for £100 payable to Suffolk County Council to:

Suffolk Highways
Phoenix House
3 Goddard Road

To apply for a vehicular access on a trunk road contact Highways England on 0300 123 5000.

You'll hear from us about our decision within 20 working days after we receive your application.

Planning the work

The work to needs to be completed by an authorised person.

Download list of accredited contractors (PDF, 76 KB) with accreditation and public liability insurance. Please note the contact information has been provided by the contractors on the list and we cannot guarantee its accuracy.

It's a legal requirement under the New Roads and Street Works Act (1991) that any contractor excavating or working in the highway has accreditation and public liability insurance.

Contact Customer Service quickly and easily by web chat

  • Your questions will be answered quicker on web chat.
  • Open Monday to Friday 9am to 4.30pm; excluding bank holidays.

Click chat with us in the right hand corner of your screen.

Live Chat Software by Click4Assistance UK