The improvements include:
- two new roundabout junctions on the A140 at Castleton Way and south of Rectory Road
- a link road through to B1077
- restricted movements at the A140/B1077 junction: prohibit right turns in and out
- closure of the A140/Rectory Road junction
Download a map showing details of the proposed A140 airfield junction improvements (PDF, 873KB).
The aims are to:
- improve journey time reliability
- improve road safety: there are accident clusters at A140/B1077 and A140/Rectory Road – reducing use and prohibiting movements will improve road safety here. Minimising number of priority accesses along the stretch will also reduce the risk of collisions
- enable development on Eye Airfield
See illustrations of the proposed junction improvements:
In 2017 Suffolk County Council successfully bid for a £3.75 million National Productivity Investment Fund grant from the Department for Transport. This was followed in 2018 by a successful bid for £1.45 million to the New Anglia LEP.
Through local match funding, Suffolk County Council will provide the balance for the scheme.