There are many people in Children and Young People's Services who support children and young people who are in care or are care leavers, to ensure that they have their say in all matters affecting their lives.
If you would like to talk to someone about how children in care and care leavers can have their voices heard, you can contact the Engagement Hub on 0800 917 1119.
Participation - have your say about care services
There are two groups helping children and young people have their say about their care services.
An activity group for children in care, ages 4 to 13 years or as appropriate depending on the child's needs, to give their views while having fun.
The Children in Care Council (C2C)
Looked-after children and care leavers aged 14 to 25 years or as appropriate depending on the child's needs, can give their views, have their say, challenge and even change the way local authorities run children's services and children's lives.
To get involved with Brighter Futures or the C2C, contact the Engagement Hub in Children and Young People's Services on 0800 917 1119
Suffolk's promise to children in care
The Government has asked children’s services across the country to make a promise to all young people in care.
Our promises make sure that you're cared for and help you to achieve the things that you want to.
Suffolk’s Promise was coproduced by C2C Suffolk’s Children in Care Council and here are the promises for different age groups:
- Promise for children under 10s (PDF, 744KB)
- Promise for children aged 10+ (PDF, 1374KB)
- Promise for care leavers 16 + (PDF, 7150KB)
- Easy read version of these promises (PDF, 265MB)
- You will have a home where you are safe, well cared for and can be happy
- We will help you see your family, friends and other people who are important to you
- You will have a Social Worker and you will know their name and how to contact them
- We will listen to you and talk to you about all the important things in your life
- We will make a plan with you about how best to look after you
- We will help you to do the things that you like and be the best you can be
- If you have any problems or worries we will work hard to sort them out with you
- We will help you to do your very best at school
- We will help you to be as healthy, well and happy as you can be
- We will work with you to give you all the help and support you need to make a success of moving on from care to adult life
- We will only tell people things about you if they need to know them to look after you properly
Are the promises not being kept for you?
If you feel the promises aren't being kept, contact the Engagement Hub on 0800 917 1119
Advocacy - get your voice heard
Helping young people to stand up for themselves and make their voices heard.
In Suffolk the organisation who provide independent advocates and work with children, young people and care leavers on an individual basis is Voiceability.
Are you aged 25 or under and have a social worker or young person's adviser?
Voiceability can support you to speak up:
- at review meetings
- if you have an issue you would like help to resolve
- if you want to make a complaint
If you would like an advocate to support you with a particular area of your life to ensure your views are heard, contact voiceability.
Make a referral to Voiceability
- Go to the Voiceability referral page
Support for children and young people in care
Looked after children, young people or a care leaver can find further information and support about children's rights on The Source website.