New COVID testing centre to open in Bury St Edmunds
A new COVID-19 PCR testing centre is to open in Suffolk.
The centre in Bury St Edmunds will offer PCR testing and operate from 8am to 8pm, seven days a week, from Saturday September 11.
It is being opened to provide a service in the west of the county following the August 16 rules change around self-isolating.
Stuart Keeble, Director of Public Health for Suffolk, said:
“This new facility will help to meet anticipated increased demand for testing now that fully-vaccinated close contacts, and those aged under 18, no longer have to self-isolate after being around someone with coronavirus and are advised to take a test instead.
“This is an NHS Track & Trace facility and does not offer testing for people returning from travel overseas. They must continue to follow the rules depending on which country they have been to.”
PCR testing is carried out on people who are showing symptoms of coronavirus such as a high temperature, a new, continuous cough and a loss or change to their sense of smell or taste.
It is also used for people who:
- Have been in contact with someone who has tested positive
- Have been asked to get a test by a local council or someone from NHS Test and Trace
- A GP or other health professional has asked them to get a test
- Are taking part in a government pilot project
- Have been asked to get a test to confirm a positive result
- Have received an unclear result and were told to get a second test
- Need to get a test for someone they live with who has symptoms.
The Bury St Edmunds site is a walk-through test centre but members of the public arriving in a vehicle can park on site and proceed on foot to the test centre building.
Parking is free to members of the public while they are attending the test centre.
The centre is in the car park behind West Suffolk House at Olding Road depot in Bury St Edmunds. The full address is Olding Road depot, West Suffolk House, Bury St Edmunds, IP33 3TA.
Booking is strongly advised and can be done online or by calling 119.
Home PCR testing kits can also be ordered via 119.