Further road closures planned for the A140 near Eye as project nears completion
A temporary weekend road closure will be in place on the A140 from 8pm on Friday 26 March until 5am on Monday 29 March 2021.
Suffolk County Council and Interserve Construction are intending to close a section of the A140 from the new northern roundabout, south to Old Ipswich Road in Yaxley so work can take place to connect the existing A140 carriageway to its new southern roundabout.
The improvement scheme to upgrade the A140 road near Eye will also temporarily close some smaller C classified roads starting from Wednesday 24 March. This is to allow works to be completed to connect approaches to the new southern roundabout:
- Castleton Way in Yaxley will be closed between the A140 and the Oaksmere Business Park from 05:00hrs on Wednesday 24 March 2021 through to 05:00hrs on Monday 29 March 2021.
- Eye Road in Yaxley will be closed from 05:00hrs on Wednesday 24 March 2021 through to the 23 April 2021.
Diversions will be in place and clearly sign posted for all road closures.
These works follow the road closure at the end of February to connect the A140 to its new northern roundabout.
This stretch of road on the A140 has seen a number of issues over the last five years.
Once the improvement scheme is completed, members of the public will experience improvements in journey time reliability and road safety, and better access to the Eye Airfield Development Area. The improvements include:
- Two new roundabout junctions on the A140 Castleton Way and south of Rectory Road
- A link road through to B1077 from the Northern roundabout
- Restricted movements at the A140/B1077 junction: prohibit right turns in and out improving journey times and safety
- Closure of the A140/Rectory Road junction
- Landscaping and new pathways for walkers and cyclists
All works are due to be completed by the end of May. Members of the public can keep up to date with the project’s latest development by visiting eyea140scheme.co.uk.