This consultation has now closed.
Suffolk County Council is currently seeking your views on two bypass route options for the A12 between Saxmundham (A1094) and Wickham Market (B1078).
This four-and-a-half-mile section of single carriageway, links two dual carriageway sections of highway.
This section of the A12 suffers from problems with congestion, reliability, resilience, accidents, air quality problems and community severance.
A bypass route will alleviate congestion and community severance along this roadway. This project will support and deliver economic growth in east Suffolk enhancing the quality of life for residents.
The consultation is open from Tuesday 12 September and closed at 11:59pm on Wednesday 25 October 2017.
Map and details of the proposed bypass routes
View the two proposed bypass route options assessment map (PDF, 112KB).
It is important to remember that we are in an early stage of design, the options have been technically developed to a point where we are confident that they can be built.
Option 1 is a single carriageway route that begins at a new roundabout junction with the A1094 and the A12 Saxmundham bypass at Friday Street.
It then runs south to the east of the A12 and the four villages of Farnham, Stratford St. Andrew, Little Glemham and Marlesford crossing the rivers Alde and Ore on bridge structures.
It rejoins the current A12 alignment where the current dual carriageway Wickham Market bypass begins.
Option 2 is a dual carriageway route that begins at a new roundabout junction with the A1094 and the A12 Saxmundham bypass at Friday Street.
It then runs south to the east of the A12 and the four villages of Farnham, Stratford St. Andrew, Little Glemham and Marlesford crossing the rivers Alde and Ore on the bridge structures.
It rejoins the current A12 alignment immediately to the north of the A12/B1078 Wickham Market interchange.
Both options will:
- Reduce congestion on the A12
- Reduce traffic volumes through the four villages and their associated impacts, providing greater opportunities for walking, cycling and horse riding
- Reduce community severance
- Provide more reliable journey times for people and businesses in east Suffolk
- Enhance access to economic opportunities
Consultation documents and frequently asked questions
6 Great Glemham Road, Stratford St Andrew, Saxmundham, IP17 1LL
|Wednesday 20 September 2017||10am to 6pm|
6 Great Glemham Road, Stratford St Andrew, Saxmundham, IP17 1LL
|Saturday 23 September 2017||10am to 6pm|
Have your say
This consultation is closed.
Planning and applications process
At the end of 2016, we successfully secured funding from the Department for Transport’s (DfT) Large Local Major Schemes Programme to further develop the business case for the scheme with the aim to deliver improvements to this section of the A12.
We have been developing the case for investment and would like you get your feedback on the two possible route options to understand and incorporate your views in the business case, which will be submitted to the government before the end of the year.
View the timeline (PDF, 48KB).
Suffolk County Council
- Children, families and learning
- Business and licences
- Jobs and careers
- Council and democracy
- Care and support for adults
- Roads and transport
- Planning, waste and environment
- Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service
- Trading Standards, community and safety
- Births, deaths and ceremonies
- Culture, heritage and leisure
Council and democracy
- The council and its committees
- Councillors and elected representatives
- Budget, Council tax and finance
- Our aims and transformation programmes
- Council directorates and senior officers
- How the council works
- Open Data Suffolk
- Consultations, petitions and elections
- Lieutenancy and honours
- Borough, district, parish and town councils
- Suffolk Public Sector Leaders group
- Devolution for East Anglia
- Council news
- Suffolk County Council and the exit from the European Union (Brexit)
Consultations, petitions and elections
- A tough call to make on the 2019/2020 budget
- Abbots Green Academy pre-application planning consultation
- Consultation on admissions to schools in Suffolk for the 2019/2020 school year
- Babergh Traffic Regulation Order (TRO) consultation
- Barrow CEVCP School pre-application planning consultation
- Bosmere Community Primary School pre-application planning consultation
- Bramford CE Voluntary Controlled Primary School
- Bramford Church of England Voluntary Controlled Primary School pre-application planning consultation
- Claydon Primary School pre-application planning consultation
- Draft post-16 travel policy 2018/2019 consultation
- Forest Heath Traffic Regulation Order (TRO) consultation
- Future of the former Peasenhall Primary School site consultation
- Hampden House Pupil Referral Unit - Non statutory consultation on age range change
- Have your say on the future of the Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service
- Have your say on services for children with speech, language and communication needs
- Help to shape Suffolk’s Special Education Needs and Disability (SEND) future
- High needs funding consultation
- High needs funding consultation 2018
- Highfield Nursery pre-application planning consultation
- Lakenheath new primary school pre-application planning consultation
- Learning Disability Services in Suffolk
- Lindbergh Road, Ipswich, New SEMH School pre-application planning consultation
- Local Citizens Advice (CAB) consultation
- Lowestoft Record Office consultation
- Mid Suffolk Traffic Regulation Order (TRO) consultation
- Minerals and Waste Local Plan
- Nacton Road, Landseer Road and Rands Way, Ipswich consultation
- Otley Primary School pre-application planning consultation
- Pharmaceutical Needs Assessment 2018 consultation
- Sixth form at King Edward VI CEVC Upper School, Bury St Edmunds
- Proposed disposal of the former All Saints Church of England Voluntary Controlled Middle School
- Proposed enlargement of premises at Barrow Church of England Voluntary Controlled Primary School
- Raising the Bar Strategy 2018-20 consultation
- Relocation of Puffin Crossing at The Street, Great Barton consultation
- Residents Survey 2016 results
- Resident parking scheme consultation for Stoke Bridge area of Ipswich
- Rights of Way Improvement Plan: Suffolk Green Access Strategy consultation
- St Edmundsbury Traffic Regulation Order (TRO) consultation
- School and post-16 travel consultation
- SEND Sufficiency Plan consultation
- Sir Robert Hitcham's CEVAP School, Framlingham pre-application planning consultation
- Suffolk Coastal Traffic Regulation Order (TRO) consultation
- Suffolk County Council budget consultation 2018/2019
- Suffolk’s Energy Gateway (SEGWay) consultation
- Suffolk’s Parking Management Strategy consultation
- The building of a pre-school at St Mary's RCP School, Lowestoft
- The building of a pre-school at Ilketshall St Lawrence Primary School
- The relocation and expansion of a pre-school at Exning Primary School
- Thurston Church of England Primary Academy pre-application planning consultation
- Trading Standards draft enforcement policy consultation
- Waveney Traffic Regulation Order (TRO) consultation
- Whitehouse Community Primary School pre-application planning consultation
- Consultation on Chilton Woods
- Stowupland High School pre-application planning consultation