This consultation is closed.
In July 2016, Suffolk County Council’s Cabinet agreed to create a combined Minerals and Waste Local Plan.
This new plan will detail our policies for minerals and waste, and set out locations for the potential development of minerals sites (such as sand or gravel pits) and waste sites (such as recycling plants or landfill sites) in the county.
Preferred Options consultation
We are now entering the second phase of the Minerals and Waste Local Plan consultation, known as the Preferred Options stage. This stage invites the public to comment on the proposed minerals and waste sites in Suffolk.
The Preferred Options consultation phase is open. The consultation will run from Monday 30 October 2017 at 5pm until Monday 11 December 2017.
You should bear in mind that any written representation received will be publicly available for inspection.
What is the Minerals and Waste Local Plan consultation?
In July 2016, Suffolk County Council’s Cabinet agreed to the production of a single document to cover both minerals and waste policy. The Suffolk Minerals and Waste Local Plan, will replace all three of the existing plans:
- Suffolk Minerals Core Strategy (adopted 2008)
- Suffolk Minerals Site Specific Allocations (adopted 2009)
- Suffolk Waste Core Strategy (adopted 2011)
As part of the development of the new plan, the Issues and Options consultation was the first step of the consultation process. This consultation ran until 5pm on 6 February 2017.
The Issues and Options consultation was seeking views on proposed policies for the development of minerals and waste. This includes proposed aims and objectives and detailed policies for minerals and waste development in the county, and draft criteria for new minerals and waste sites.
The consultation discussed the intention to remove the proposed landfill sites at Foxhall, Great Blakenham, Layham and Thorington that had been included in the previous waste plan, as the move away from landfilling waste means that they are no longer required.
The consultation also discussed the intention to remove sites proposed for Strategic Residual waste Treatment Facilities at Eye/Yaxley, Masons Quarry Great Blakenham and Sproughton because, following the construction of the Energy from Waste Facility at the former Highways Depot in Great Blakenham, no additional facilities are required.
The Preferred Options consultation is the second step in the process Suffolk County Council is taking to develop the new Minerals and Waste Local Plan. It sets out the preferred locations for potential development of minerals and waste sites in the county.
The following sites have been submitted for consideration to the County Council in response to the earlier Issues and Options consultation which included a call for sites by inviting the sand and gravel industry, landowners and land agents to suggest sites for inclusion:
Minerals sites will only be permitted in appropriate locations and will be required to be operated to a high standard, so that they do not cause significantly adverse impact upon the environment or local amenities or endanger human health.
The Council identified these sites after inviting the sand and gravel industry, landowners and land agents to suggest sites for inclusion.
Documents for the Preferred Options consultation
View the Suffolk Minerals & Waste Local Plan Preferred Options documents:
- Chapter 1: Index and Executive Summary (PDF, 784KB)
- Chapter 2: Introduction (PDF, 83KB)
- Chapter 3: Vision, Aims and Objectives (PDF, 83KB)
- Chapter 4: General Policies (PDF, 901KB)
- Chapter 5: Minerals Policies (PDF, 122KB)
- Chapter 6: Waste Policies (PDF, 72KB)
- Chapters 7 to 19: Proposed Minerals and Waste Sites (PDF, 4MB)
- Appendices (PDF, 370KB)
- Maps: Babergh (PDF, 3.2MB)
- Maps: Forest Heath (PDF, 2.8MB)
- Maps: Ipswich Borough (PDF, 967KB)
- Maps: Mid Suffolk (PDF, 5.2MB)
- Maps: St Edmundsbury (PDF, 2.9MB)
- Maps: Suffolk Coastal (PDF, 2.9MB)
- Maps: Waveney (PDF, 1.5MB)
- Safeguard and Proposals Map (PDF, 3.4MB)
- Sustainability Appraisal (PDF, 3.1MB)
Evidence for the Preferred Options consultation
View the evidence base documents:
- Cabinet Report Suffolk Minerals & Waste Local Plan (PDF, 69KB)
- Cabinet Report Suffolk Local Plans in Suffolk (PDF, 912KB)
- EIA initial screening (PDF, 368KB)
- Local Aggregates Assessment 2016 data (PDF, 2.4MB)
- MWDS Sep 2017 (PDF, 285KB)
- SMWLP HRA 1 Sep 2017 (PDF, 539KB)
- SMWLP HRA Appendix One Sep 2017 (PDF, 546KB)
- SMWLP HRA Appendix Two Assessment Table (PDF, 470KB)
- SMLP HRA Appendix Three (PDF, 413KB)
- SMWLP I&O Responses to Representations (PDF, 1.4MB)
- SMWLP Strategic Flood Risk Assessment (PDF, 5.6MB)
- Suffolk Waste Study Final Report Sep 2017 (PDF, 2.7MB)
View the Site Selection Reports:
- Barham (PDF, 4.7MB)
- Barnham (PDF, 4.2MB)
- Barton Mills (PDF, 4MB)
- Belstead (PDF, 457KB)
- Belstead Appendix 1 (PDF, 387KB)
- Belstead Appendix 2 (PDF, 199KB)
- Belstead Appendix 3 (PDF, 199KB)
- Belstead Appendix 4 (PDF, 3.9MB)
- Belstead Appendix 4 I and O Consultation (PDF, 2724MB)
- Belstead Maps and Photographs (PDF, 935KB)
- Benhall (PDF, 4.9MB)
- Cavenham (PDF, 269KB)
- Cavenham Appendix 1 (PDF, 1.2MB)
- Cavenham Appendix 2 (PDF, 1.2MB)
- Cavenham Appendix 3 (PDF, 1.2MB)
- Cavenham Appendix 4 (PDF, 1.2MB)
- Cavenham Appendix 5 (PDF, 1.6MB)
- Cavenham Appendix 6 (PDF, 982KB)
- Cavenham Appendix 7 (PDF, 1.1MB)
- Cavenham Appendix 8 (PDF, 1.5MB)
- Cavenham Appendices 9 and 10 (PDF, 5.1MB)
- Cavenham Maps and Photographs (PDF, 1.5MB)
- Foxhall (PDF, 3.4MB)
- Great Blakenham (PDF, 2.2MB)
- Henham (PDF, 5MB)
- Higham (PDF, 4.1MB)
- Layham (PDF, 2.5MB)
- Layham Appendix 2 (PDF, 4.4MB)
- Layham Appendix 3 (PDF, 990KB)
- Mendham (PDF, 3.7MB)
- Pannington (PDF, 5.1MB)
- Sizewell (PDF, 4.9MB)
- Stowmarket (PDF, 349KB)
- Stowmarket Appendix 1 (PDF, 2.6MB)
- Stowmarket Appendix 2 (PDF, 96KB)
- Stowmarket Maps and Photographs (PDF, 1.8MB)
- Tattingstone (PDF, 481KB)
- Tattingstone Appendix 1 (PDF, 3MB)
- Tattingstone Appendix 2 (PDF, 1.4MB)
- Tattingstone Appendix 3 (PDF, 4.3MB)
- Tattingstone Appendix 3 Lab Report (PDF, 2.1MB)
- Tattingstone Appendix 4 (PDF, 101KB)
- Tattingstone Maps and Photos (PDF, 2.6MB)
- Wangford (PDF, 511KB)
- Wangford Appendix 1 (PDF, 4.2MB)
- Wangford Appendix 2 (PDF, 4.2MB)
- Wangford Appendix 2 Plans (PDF, 3.2MB)
- Wangford Appendix 3 (PDF, 1.6MB)
- Wangford Appendices 4 to 6 (PDF, 2.3MB)
- Wetherden Site Selection Report (PDF, 2..4MB)
- Wordwell (PDF, 471KB)
- Wordwell Appendix 1 (PDF, 2.3MB)
- Wordwell Appendix 2 (PDF, 2.3MB)
- Wordwell Appendix 2 Borehole Logs (PDF, 3.8MB)
- Wordwell Maps and Photographs (PDF, 966KB)
- Worlington (PDF, 474KB)
- Worlington Appendix 1 (PDF, 2.6MB)
- Worlington Appendix 2 (PDF, 2.6MB)
- Worlington Appendix 3 (PDF, 2.6MB)
- Worlington Appendix 4 (PDF, 2.6MB)
- Worlington Geological Report (PDF, 1.9MB)
- Worlington Maps and Photographs (PDF, 3.1MB)
Have your say - Preferred Options consultation
This consultation is closed.
As part of this consultation, we will be hosting ten consultation events where the public can learn more and speak to members of Suffolk County Council’s planning team.
|Barnham Village Hall, The Street, Barnham, IP24 2NF||6 November 2017||2pm to 8pm|
|Belstead Village Hall, Wits End, Grove Hill, Belstead, IP8 3LP||9 November 2017||2pm to 8pm|
|Claydon and Barham Village Hall, 6-8 Norwich Road, Claydon, IP6 0DF||20 November 2017||2pm to 8pm|
|Elmswell, Blackbourne Community Centre, Blackbourne Road, Elmswell, IP30 9GY||10 November 2017||2pm to 8pm|
|Layham Village Hall, Lower Layham, Church Lane, Hadleigh, IP7 5HD||15 November 2017||2pm to 8pm|
|Tattingstone Village Hall, 29 Church Road, Tattingstone, IP9 2NA||17 November 2017||2pm to 8pm|
|Tuddenham St Mary Village Hall, High Street, Tuddenham, IP28 6SA||14 November 2017||2pm to 8pm|
|Wangford Community Centre, Millfields, Wangford, NR34 8RG||8 November 2017||2pm to 8pm|
|Wherstead Village Hall, The Room, The Street, Wherstead, IP9 2BJ||23 November 2017||2pm to 8pm|
|Worlington Village Hall, The Street, Worlington, IP28 8RU||16 November 2017||2pm to 8pm|
Issues and Options consultation
As part of the development of the new plan, the Issues and Options Consultation is the first step of the consultation process. This consultation closed on 6 February 2017.
The Issues and Options consultation offered the opportunity to respond to the summary document, or to the full consultation document depending on the level of detail the response required. Please note that the full consultation includes a total of 62 questions, over more than 100 pages.
- Issues and Options consultation summary document (PDF, 162KB)
- Issues and Options consultation full document (PDF, 821KB, 106 pages)
As part of this consultation, a Sustainability Appraisal was also produced. Read the appraisal and supporting documents:
Sustainability Appraisal Scoping Report Consultation
The consultation for the Suffolk Minerals & Waste Local Plan Sustainability Appraisal Draft Scoping Report ended on 31 October 2016.
We received responses from four statutory consultees:
What is a waste site?
A waste site is a location for the processing or disposal of waste – residential or commercial. This can include landfill sites, recycling or composting facilities, or processing plants such as an Energy from Waste facility.
What is a minerals site?
A minerals site is a location that has been identified as containing aggregates such as sand and gravel, that can be extracted for use in the construction industry, or chalk for use in agriculture.
Where can I find more information about Minerals and Waste Policy in Suffolk?
Visit the Minerals and Waste Policy web page.
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: 0345 603 1842
What happens next?
Once the full plan is produced, it will then be submitted to the Planning Inspector and examined in public, and an approved plan is expected to be adopted in 2019.
Suffolk County Council
Council and democracy
- The council and its committees
- Councillors and elected representatives
- Budget, council tax and finance
- Our aims and transformation programmes
- Council directorates, services and senior officers
- How the council works
- Open Data Suffolk
- Consultations, petitions and elections
- Lieutenancy and honours
- Borough, district, parish and town councils
- Devolution for East Anglia
- Council news
Consultations, petitions and elections
- Suffolk County Council budget consultation 2018/2019
- Draft post-16 travel policy 2018/2019 consultation
- High needs funding consultation
- Lake Lothing Third Crossing consultation
- Minerals and Waste Local Plan consultation
- Nacton Road, Landseer Road and Rands Way, Ipswich consultation
- Otley Primary School Pre-Application Planning consultation
- Pharmaceutical Needs Assessment 2018 consultation
- Raising the Bar Strategy 2018-20 consultation
- School and post-16 travel consultation
- Suffolk’s Energy Gateway (SEGWay) consultation
- Tayfen Road, Bury St Edmunds consultation
- Residents Survey 2016 results
- Adult Learning Strategy Consultation
- Proposed development of Chilton Woods
- Integrated Risk Management Plan 2015-2018
- Grove Road/Springfield Road neighbourhood permit parking scheme
- Gypsy and Traveller short stay stopping sites
- Beccles Southern Relief Road
- West Suffolk Operational Hub – dealing with household waste
- Future of Specialist Educational Provision in Suffolk
- Have your say on health visiting and school nursing services
- Working together to tackle poverty
- Outcome notification of the consultation relating to The Bridge School
- Anglesea Road Area, Ipswich – Proposed 20mph Speed Limit
- Consultation on Future Trading for Governor Services
- Highways Asset Management consultation
- Consultation on proposed Traffic Regulation Orders (TRO) in Sudbury
- Consultation on how we can improve access to Suffolk's countryside
- Upper Orwell Crossings documents
- Day care service provision in the Newmarket area
- Consultation on proposed traffic regulation orders in Ipswich
- Sudbury Bus Station Pre-planning consultation
- Consultation on admissions to schools in Suffolk for the 2019/2020 school year
- Suffolk County Council Budget Consultation 2017/2018
- 30 hours childcare survey
- Snailwell Road, Newmarket consultation
- Resident parking scheme consultation for Stoke Bridge area of Ipswich
- Consultation with residents of Fuchsia Lane and Wellesley Road, Ipswich
- Riverwalk Campus (former Hardwick Middle School) Pre-Application Planning Consultation
- Help to shape Suffolk’s Special Education Needs and Disability (SEND) future
- Claydon Primary School Pre-Application Planning Consultation
- Learning Disability Services in Suffolk
- The Building of a Pre-School at St Mary's RCP School, Lowestoft
- The relocation and expansion of a pre-school at Exning Primary School
- Consultation on the future of the former Peasenhall Primary School site