This consultation has now closed.
Suffolk County Council is seeking your views on our proposals for a new crossing over Lake Lothing in Lowestoft.
The existing bridges over the lake at Mutford Lock and the A47 Bascule Bridge are inadequate to meet current and future traffic demand. Delays and congestion are a common occurrence for drivers, particularly during peak hours, and pedestrians and cyclists often have long and difficult journeys as they travel across the town.
A crossing will open up opportunities for regeneration and create a new link between north and south Lowestoft.
This new crossing presents an opportunity to introduce a focal point for the town, enhancing its identity. This will help to regenerate the area and attract new investment in the local economy.
This is a significant project for Lowestoft and it is important residents, businesses, landowners and all those affected by, or interested in, the project have their say.
The proposed project
View the Lake Lothing Third Crossing proposed project map (PDF, 754KB).
Our proposals for the Lake Lothing Third Crossing aim to improve journeys and connectivity, help meet the aspirations for economic prosperity and provide a new feature in the town for all users to enjoy for years to come.
The project will include a new multi-span bridge from Waveney Drive to Peto Way. The bridge will be a single carriageway road with facilities for pedestrians and cyclists.
The proposed design includes new roundabouts to the north and south of the lake to help connect the traffic smoothly into the existing road network, as well as provide public spaces for people to enjoy.
Changes to the road layout include a new access from Waveney Drive to Riverside Business Park and closure of Durban Road at its junction with Waveney Drive.
360 virtual reality views of the project
View 360 views of the Lake Lothing Third Crossing project, showing 6 locations.
For more detailed information about the proposals please see our consultation brochure and the other documents listed below.
- Consultation Brochure (PDF, 2MB)
- Statement of Community Consultation (PDF, 357KB)
- Design Process Summary (PDF, 635KB)
- Preliminary Environmental Information Report (PEIR): Non-Technical Summary (PDF, 994KB)
- Compulsory Purchase and Compensation (PDF, 116KB)
Preliminary Environmental Information Report (PEIR)
- Appendix 1A: Potential Health Assessment topics (PDF, 48KB)
- Appendix 7A: Scoping Report (PDF, 6MB)
- Appendix 7B: Scoping Opinion (PDF, 3.7MB)
- Appendix 8A: Construction Phase Assessment (PDF, 84KB)
- Appendix 8B: Scheme Specific Air Quality Monitoring (PDF, 239KB)
- Appendix 8C: Windrose (PDF, 58KB)
- Appendix 9A: Cultural Heritage (PDF, 891KB)
- Appendix 9B: Deposit Model (PDF, 3.3MB)
- Appendix 9C: Written Scheme of Investigation for Trial Pits (PDF, 1MB)
- Appendix 9D: Watching Brief Report (Wall Quay Ties) (PDF, 1.3MB)
- Appendix 9E: Written Scheme of Investigation for Geoarchaeological Works (PDF, 811KB)
- Appendix 11A: Ecology Phase 1 (PDF, 780KB)
- Appendix 11B: Interim Bat Survey Report (PDF, 200KB)
- Appendix 11C: BAP List (PDF, 49KB)
- Appendix 11D: Wintering Bird Survey Report (PDF, 97KB)
- Appendix 11E: Habitats Regulation Assessment Screening (PDF, 180KB)
- Appendix 11F: Preliminary Reptile Survey Report (PDF, 169KB)
- Appendix 11G: Proposed Benthic Methodology (PDF, 573KB)
- Appendix 12A: Environmental Desk Study Report (PDF, 252KB)
- Appendix 13A: Construction Plan Sound Power Level Data (PDF, 21KB)
- Appendix 14A: Construction Plan Sound Power Level Data (PDF, 21KB)
- Appendix 15A: Vessel Simulation Report (PDF, 585KB)
- Appendix 17A: Preliminary Water Framework Directive Assessment (PDF, 242KB)
- Appendix 18A: Interim Assessment of Flooding (PDF, 2.3MB)
- Appendix 19A: Preliminary Transport Assessment (PDF, 3.5MB)
- Appendix 19B: Junction Capacity Analysis (PDF, 109KB)
- Figure 1.1: Site Location Plan (PDF, 2MB)
- Figure 4.1: Alternatives Considered (PDF, 1.9MB)
- Figure 4.2: Alternative Waveney Drive Access Arrangements (PDF, 349KB)
- Figure 5.1: Existing Environment Adjacent Land uses (PDF, 699KB)
- Figure 5.2: Existing Environment Designation (PDF, 1.7MB)
- Figure 6.1: The Red Line and the Proposed Scheme (PDF, 1MB)
- Figure 6.2: Cross Sections (PDF, 600KB)
- Figure 6.3: Bridge Elevations (PDF, 190KB)
- Figure 6.4: Design Summary (PDF, 1.4MB)
- Figure 6.5: Indicative Drainage (PDF, 1.6MB)
- Figure 6.6: Indicative Construction Compound Locations (PDF, 626KB)
- Figure 8.1: Indicative Operational Air Quality Study Area (PDF, 2.5MB)
- Figure 8.2: Air Quality Construction Dust Assessment Area (PDF, 2.9MB)
- Figure 8.3: Air Quality Affected Links Opening Year 2021 (PDF, 2.5MB)
- Figure 8.4: Scheme Specific NO2 Diffusion Tube Air Quality Monitoring Locations (PDF, 3.1MB)
- Figure 9.1: Heritage Plan (PDF, 996KB)
- Figure 10.1: Townscape constraints (PDF, 2.4MB)
- Figure 10.2: Preliminary Zone of Visual Influence, HGV Traffic (PDF, 978KB)
- Figure 10.3: Preliminary Zone of Visual Influence, Bridge Lowered (PDF, 1MB)
- Figure 10.4: Preliminary Zone of Visual Influence, Bridge Raised (PDF, 1MB)
- Figure 10.5: Viewpoint Location (PDF, 1MB)
- Figure 10.6: Sheet 1, Viewpoint Location 1 (PDF, 1.9MB)
- Figure 10.6: Sheet 2, Viewpoint Location 2 (PDF, 1.9MB)
- Figure 10.6: Sheet 3, Viewpoint Location 3 (PDF, 1.9MB)
- Figure 10.6: Sheet 4, Viewpoint Location 4 (PDF, 1.9MB)
- Figure 10.6: Sheet 5, Viewpoint Location 5 (PDF, 819KB)
- Figure 10.6: Sheet 6, Viewpoint Location 6 (PDF, 1.9MB)
- Figure 10.6: Sheet 7, Viewpoint Location 7 (PDF, 1.9MB)
- Figure 10.6: Sheet 8, Viewpoint Location 8 (PDF, 1.9MB)
- Figure 10.6: Sheet 9, Viewpoint Location 9 (PDF, 1.9MB)
- Figure 10.6: Sheet 10, Viewpoint Location 10 (PDF, 1.9MB)
- Figure 10.6: Sheet 11, Viewpoint Location 11 (PDF, 1.9MB)
- Figure 11.1: Ecological Constraints Plan (PDF, 1MB)
- Figure 11.2: Extended Study Area (PDF, 695KB)
- Figure 11.3: Undertaken and Proposed Bat Survey Location (PDF, 443KB)
- Figure 11.4: Birds Survey Location (PDF, 624KB)
- Figure 11.5: Reptile Survey Area (PDF, 456KB)
- Figure 11.6: Invertebrate Survey Area (PDF, 442KB)
- Figure 12.1: Historic Landfill Areas (PDF, 901KB)
- Figure 13.1: Noise Monitoring Location (PDF, 1MB)
- Figure 13.2: Noise Important Area (PDF, 2.5MB)
- Figure 15.1: Port of Lowestoft (PDF, 1.7MB)
- Figure 16.1: Socioeconomic Study Area (PDF, 1.3MB)
- Figure 17.1: Water Environment and Baseline Features (PDF, 2.1MB)
- Figure 18.1: Flood Zone 2 and 3 (PDF, 1MB)
- Figure 18.2: Model Result Location (PDF, 2.9MB)
- Figure 19.1: Junction Assessment (PDF, 2.6MB)
- Figure 19.2: Public Rights of Way and Cycle Routes (PDF, 1MB)
- Figure 19.3: Community and Private Assets Plan (PDF, 748KB)
- Figure 20.1: Cumulative Impacts (PDF, 1.3MB)
Planning application process
The Secretary of State for Transport has directed that Lake Lothing Third Crossing is to be treated as a Project of National Significance for the purposes of the Planning Act 2008. As such, we are required to make an application for a Development Consent Order (DCO) to obtain permission to construct, operate and maintain the project.
Following the formal public consultation, we will carefully consider all responses received and produce a report on the consultation. This report will form part of our DCO application, to the Secretary of State.
The Planning Inspectorate will examine the application and make a recommendation to the Secretary of State for Transport, who will decide on whether the project will go ahead.
We currently intend to make our application for development consent in early 2018.
Email email@example.com to sign up for updates.
Telephone 0345 603 1842 (open Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 6pm).
Suffolk County Council
Council and democracy
- The council and its committees
- Councillors and elected representatives
- Budget, Council Tax and finance
- Our aims and transformation programmes
- Council directorates, services and senior officers
- How the council works
- Open Data Suffolk
- Consultations, petitions and elections
- Lieutenancy and honours
- Borough, district, parish and town councils
- Suffolk Public Sector Leaders group
- Devolution for East Anglia
- Council news
Consultations, petitions and elections
- A tough call to make on the 2019/2020 budget
- Consultation on admissions to schools in Suffolk for the 2019/2020 school year
- Lindbergh Road, Ipswich, New SEMH School pre-application planning consultation
- Bosmere Community Primary School pre-application planning consultation
- Claydon Primary School pre-application planning consultation
- Draft post-16 travel policy 2018/2019 consultation
- Future of the former Peasenhall Primary School site consultation
- Help to shape Suffolk’s Special Education Needs and Disability (SEND) future
- High needs funding consultation
- High needs funding consultation 2018
- Lake Lothing Third Crossing consultation
- Lakenheath new primary school pre-application planning consultation
- Learning Disability Services in Suffolk
- Lowestoft Record Office consultation
- Minerals and Waste Local Plan consultation
- Nacton Road, Landseer Road and Rands Way, Ipswich consultation
- Otley Primary School pre-application planning consultation
- Pharmaceutical Needs Assessment 2018 consultation
- Proposed development of Chilton Woods
- Raising the Bar Strategy 2018-20 consultation
- Residents Survey 2016 results
- Resident parking scheme consultation for Stoke Bridge area of Ipswich
- School and post-16 travel consultation
- SEND Sufficiency Plan consultation
- Sir Robert Hitcham's CEVAP School, Framlingham pre-application planning consultation
- Suffolk County Council budget consultation 2018/2019
- Suffolk’s Energy Gateway (SEGWay) consultation
- Suffolk’s Parking Management Strategy consultation
- The building of a pre-school at St Mary's RCP School, Lowestoft
- The building of a pre-school at Ilketshall St Lawrence Primary School
- The relocation and expansion of a pre-school at Exning Primary School
- Trading Standards draft enforcement policy consultation
- Waveney Traffic Regulation Order (TRO) consultation
- Whitehouse Community Primary School pre-application planning consultation