This consultation has now closed.
Approval is subject to an acceptable Section 106 agreement being in place.
- See all documents on Babergh District Council's website
- Download a list of documents published on Babergh District Council's website (PDF, 157KB)
Lying within the parishes of Chilton, Acton, Sudbury and Long Melford Chilton Woods is allocated for development in Babergh District Council’s Core Strategy (2014).
Recognised as an ideal location to meet local housing and employment needs, Chilton Woods would deliver wider benefits for the area including a new primary school, village hall, community woodland, a pub, shops, sports pitches and walking/cycling routes.
Proposals for Chilton Woods have been on the cards for many years and as a county council we are committed to delivering a scheme which supports economic growth, the delivery of new homes, adds value to the area and is sustainable.
The plan unveiled during pre planning consultation in January this year aimed to maintain the main benefits offered in earlier schemes but included some changes to improve deliverability, including:
- 50% of the site allocated as green space - more useable and integrated within the master plan area
- sports pitches moved to allow additional space, including more pitches, and create a soft rural edge to the scheme
- a larger more central area of community woodland combining play areas and recreational routes linked to the wider green space network close to homes
- key elements of the village centre are retained, including village green, market square, pub and primary school
- a more sustainable layout that maximises accessibility to the village centre and the edge of Sudbury by walking and cycling
As a result of views received during pre planning consultation the following alterations have been made to the application:
- further detail added on recreational uses and wildlife habitats within the community woodland
- road link between employment and housing areas moved to avoid dormouse hedgerow
- traffic calming measures designed for Acton Lane following discussion with SCC Highways
- car parking identified for sports pavilion
- further green space and landscaping within the village centre, including link to sports pavilion