Suffolk's Warm Homes Healthy People is a project designed to help vulnerable people and families make their homes cheaper to heat.
The project can provide the following for eligible residents in Suffolk:
- Grants for First Time Central Heating
- Boiler or heater stopped working? Warm Homes Healthy People can lend you electric heaters and assess you for financial assistance towards the cost of repairs or replacements
- Do you own or privately rent your property? Warm Homes Healthy People can arrange for an independent surveyor to visit your home and discuss energy efficiency improvements that could make a real difference to your heating bills.
- The project can also access grants to help pay for insulation and basic draught proofing
- In a crisis situation you could be awarded a fuel payment paid directly to your heating supplier or added to a card meter
Call Warm Homes Healthy People on 03456 037 686 or email email@example.com if you've a question.
Warm Homes Healthy People report 2018/2019
Download the Warm Homes Healthy People status report (PDF) for 2018/2019 published on East Suffolk Council's website.
Winter fuel payments
Someone who's under the age of 63 on 6 May 2017
Contact Warm Homes Healthy People on 03456 037 686 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Someone who's over the age of 63 on 6 May 2017
Contact Citizens Advice Bureau on 01473 298634 or email email@example.com.
You can also visit 19 Tower Street, Ipswich, Suffolk, IP1 3BE.
Note: Age UK are no longer offering fuel payments.
- An emergency fuel payment
- Making your home warmer as well as more energy efficient
- Help with getting your home properly insulated and draught proofed
- Emergency boiler and heating repairs - this is subject to funding availability and eligibility criteria applies
- Loan of temporary heaters in an emergency
- Cheaper oil prices and access to interest free loans via Eastern Savings and Loans
Please note: If you have substantial savings, any financial assistance may be limited.
Other ways to get help
In the first instance contact your energy supplier. They offer a range of services to older or vulnerable customers and people on low incomes, including cheaper energy deals and free or subsidised energy efficiency measures.
All gas or electricity companies offer a Priority Service Register to customers who are older, disabled or have a chronic illness.
- Benefits If you are concerned about the cost of heating your home you may be eligible for various benefits and schemes.
- British Gas Energy Trust Find details of trusts and funds to help with energy and water bills
- Charis Grants can help people who are struggling to pay their energy charges and other household bills and costs
- Community Action Suffolk Community Buying Ltd is a countywide oil-buying syndicate which enables members to buy heating oil at reduced prices
- Energy Saving Trust offers impartial advice on how to reduce carbon emissions, use water more sustainably and save money on energy bills
- Essential services: getting extra help free services that can give you extra help if you’re older, ill or have a disability, or you’ve suddenly found yourself in vulnerable circumstances
- Keep warm, keep well is a government information leaflet for people over 60, low-income families and people living with a disability. It includes advice on getting prepared for the cold weather and financial help to heat your home
- Lofty Heights A loft emptying service for elderly and disabled people to allow them to take advantage of the free insulation schemes on offer
- Priority Register Support for vulnerable people who need extra support during a power cut
- Surviving Winter A chance for those who receive a winter fuel payment that they don't need to donate it to a fund to help others who do.
- Winter are you prepared? Essential information about staying safe and healthy this winter
- Winter Wrapped Up (PDF, 351KB) Tips from Age UK on how to keep warm and well
Anyone who has a vulnerable relative or neighbour is urged to help them find out more about what support and assistance might be available to them.