The Civil Contingencies Act 2004 requires local authorities to provide the following services:
- Assess Suffolk risks and provide input to the Suffolk Community Risk Register
- Develop Suffolk local authorities Emergency Plans
- Develop Suffolk local authorities Business Continuity Management arrangements
- Develop arrangements for Civil Preparedness information available for public use
- Maintain system for warning, informing and advising public in the event of an emergency
- Share information with other Suffolk responders
- Co-operate with other Suffolk responders to enhance co-operation and efficiency
Additionally, local authorities are required to provide Business Continuity Management advice to Suffolk businesses and voluntary organisations.
The Suffolk Joint Emergency Planning Unit (JEPU) staff are based both in the districts and boroughs and centrally with the County Council.
They provide the subject matter expertise, planning, training and advice to officers and councillors to facilitate civil preparedness capability within each council.
Joint governance arrangements ensure that formal close ties are established with senior officers and elected members within each council to allow joint direction setting and subsequent management of service delivery.
The JEPU also provides the local authority interface with the wider Suffolk Resilience Forum (SRF), the mechanism by which county multi-agency responders can co-operate with each other in preparing for and responding to emergencies within Suffolk.
- The Suffolk Joint Emergency Planning Unit is a formal partnership established by Legal Agreement.
- Annually, the Chief Executive of each Suffolk local authority agrees a Joint Emergency Planning Unit Business Plan.
- The Joint Emergency Planning Unit Annual Report outlines the civil contingencies achievements across all councils against agreed priorities and highlighting key events and activities.
Contact the Joint Emergency Planning Unit
Call 01473 265321 or email us at email@example.com.
Emergency Planning Officer contact details
East Suffolk – Keith.Fawknerfirstname.lastname@example.org
Babergh and Mid Suffolk District Council (BMSDC) - Freddie.Gulliver@suffolk.gov.uk
West Suffolk – Vince.Williams@suffolk.gov.uk