What is abuse?
A abusive relationship can include being:
- threatened with violence
- told what to wear
- told who to see and speak to
- told where you can go
- constantly criticised and put down
It is also abuse if any form of social media is being used to embarrass or threaten you.
Abuse is never OK. You can't blame abuse on:
- a sign of love or caring
- the way you behave
- the way you look
- what you wear
If you are in an abusive relationship it's not your fault, and you do not have to put up with it.
Contact local and national support services
If you are in an emergency situation, always call 999.
- Ipswich Lighthouse Women's Aid 24 hour helpline: call 01473 745 111
- Bury St Edmunds Women's Aid: call 01284 753 085
- Domestic Abuse Outreach service: call 0800 977 5690
- The Ferns for victims of sexual assault: call 0300 123 5058
- Suffolk Rape Crisis helpline for women and girls: call 0800 085 0520
- Suffolk Police enquiries: call 101