We provide resources in the form of books and DVDs which can be useful in helping you tackle some of the challenges of parenting. As well as offering activities for you and your child to do together.
Please read through the following information on some of the resources available, which includes instructions on how to access or order them.
Library books on parenting topics
See the Suffolk Libraries lists of books on parenting advice: books to help with raising every sort of family.
Free books for children
Bookstart gives away free books to every child in England.
Bookstart baby pack
In your baby's first year, you will receive your free Bookstart baby pack from your health visitor, or another health professional.
The Bookstart baby pack has been carefully chosen to include everything you need to get started sharing stories, rhymes and songs with your baby. Please ask at your local library if you have difficulty in getting hold of your pack.
Bookstart Treasure Chest
When your child reaches 3-4 years old, you will receive your free My Bookstart Treasure Chest from your child's nursery or playgroup or other early years setting. Please ask at your local library if you have difficulty in getting hold of your pack.
Packs for Children with additional needs
Children are entitled to this pack in addition to the two standard Bookstart packs, which are the Bookshine pack, and the Booktouch pack.
The Bookshine pack
Bookshine books are for children who are deaf. You can collect your free Bookshine packs from your health visitor, local health clinic, early years setting, or local library. Bookstart schemes also work closely with these professionals and sensory impairment teams to help make sure everyone receives the packs best suited to them.
The Booktouch pack
Booktouch books are for children who are blind or partially sighted. You can collect your free Booktouch packs from your health visitor, local health clinic, early years setting or local library. Bookstart schemes also work closely with these professionals and sensory impairment teams to help make sure everyone receives the packs best suited to them.
Dual language Bookstart books
If you speak English as a second language then you are entitled to free dual language books.
- Chinese Traditional
- Chinese Simplified
Ask at your local library for more information.
Book recommendations for parents and children
Parents and family support practitioners from the Early Years teams recommend these books for parents and children:
- All Cats Have Asperger Syndrome by Kathy Hoopmann
- All Dogs Have ADHD by Kathy Hoopmann
- Aspergirls: Empowering Females with Asperger Syndrome by Rudy Simone
- Attachment-Focused Parenting: Effective Strategies to Care for Children by Daniel A Hughes
- Brain-Based Parenting: The Neuroscience of Caregiving for Healthy Attachment by Daniel A Hughes and Jonathan Baylin
- Can I Tell You About...? (series) by Jude Welton
- Freaks, Geeks and Aspergers Syndrome: A User Guide to Adolescence by Luke Jackson
- Hot Stuff to Help Kids Chill Out: The Anger Management Book by Jerry Wilde
- How to Talk so Kids Will Listen and Listen so Kids Will Talk by Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish
- How to Talk so Teens Will Listen and Listen so Teens Will Talk by Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish
- Inside I'm Hurting: Practical Strategies for Supporting Children with Attachment Difficulties in Schools by Louise Bomber
- My Social Stories Book by Carol Gray and Abbie Leigh White
- Raising Boys: Why Boys are Different by Steve Biddulph
- Raising Girls: Why Girls are Different by Gisela Preuschoff
- Siblings Without Rivalry: How to Help Your Children Live Together So You Can Live Too by Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish
- Starving the Anger Gremlin: A Cognitive Behavioural Therapy Workbook on Anger Management by Kate Collins-Donnelly
- Starving the Anxiety Gremlin: A Cognitive Behavioural Therapy Workbook on Anxiety Management by Kate Collins-Donnelly
- Teach Your Child to Sleep: Solving Sleep Problems from Newborn Through Childhood by Millpond Sleep Clinic
- Ten Things Every Child with Autism Wishes You Knew by Ellen Notbohm
- The Guide for Separated Parents: Putting Children First by Karen and Nick Woodall
- The Truth About Hormones by Vivienne Parry
- The Whole-Brain Child: 12 Proven Strategies to Nurture Your Child’s Developing Mind by Tina Payne Bryson and Daniel Siegel
- What Every Parent Needs to Know by Margot Sunderland
- What to Do When You Worry Too Much: A Kid's Guide to Overcoming Anxiety by Dawn Huebner and Bonnie Matthews
- When Your Child is Bullied by Jenny Alexander