Your education

Information for children and young people with Special Educational Needs and/or disabilities

ResizedImage19976 16431 Sendiass Logo Final

Under 25 and need advice and support with your education? We will listen to you and offer confidential advice and information.

Your views must be at the centre of any planning for your education.

The SEND Code of Practice says:

All young people with SEN should be supported to make the transition to life beyond school or college, whether or not they have an EHC plan. As well as preparing them for adulthood generally, schools and colleges should ensure that young people with SEN have the information they need to make the final steps in this transition.

This includes information about local employers, further training, and where to go for further advice or support. (8.75)

The Council for Disabled Children (CDC) have some useful resources for young people

See also videos explaining your rights in relation to healthcare,

Planning for your future should start in Year 9. Your school or college must talk to you about your aspirations and goals and provide careers guidance to help you to achieve them. They should liaise with the local authority if they believe you might require additional support from a Specialist Youth Support Worker. 

The SEND Code of Practice says:

Young people entering post-16 education and training should be accessing provision which supports them to build on their achievements at school and which helps them progress towards adulthood.

Young people with EHC plans are likely to need more tailored post-16 pathways. (8.22)

If you have a Statement of SEN, the local authority must transfer this to an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHC) by 1 April 2018. This is called a Transfer Review and is usually arranged by school.

If you need help getting your views across, the All About Me template (PPT, 288KB) could be a useful start as part of any review.

Download a step-by-step guide to person centred reviews (PDF, 206KB).

If are thinking you might need an EHC plan, have a look at our page on support for EHC assessments and plans, which explains the process including how to request an EHC needs assessment.

If you have a Learning Difficulty Assessment (LDA) this may not necessarily transfer to an EHC plan. To find out more, you can read more about the Suffolk transition plan (PDF, 347KB) and see the process flowchart for LDAs (PDF, 147KB).

If you have an LDA you may request an EHC needs assessment at any time and, if the local authority do not agree with your request, you have the right to mediation and to appeal to the SEND tribunal - we can advise you further on how to go about this. 

The SEND Code of Practice says:

As young people develop, and increasingly form their own views, they should be involved more and more closely in decisions about their own future.

After compulsory school age (the end of the academic year in which they turn 16) the right to make requests and decisions under the Children and Families Act 2014 applies to them directly, rather than to their parents.

Parents, or other family members, can continue to support young people in making decisions, or act on their behalf, provided that the young person is happy for them to do so, and it is likely that parents will remain closely involved in the great majority of cases. (8.13)

Useful links 

  • Council for Disabled Children - CDC's vision is a society in which disabled children and young people’s rights are respected, their aspirations supported their needs met, and life chances are assured.
  • Suffolk SEND Local Offer - Access to a range of support so that children and young people with Special Educational Needs and disabilities can be educated and enjoy social opportunities alongside their peers, in their local community.
  • The Source - Get help with learning choices, finding work or training, health, relationships and more.
  • SAY - Suffolk Assembly of Youth
  • IASS network (information & advice for children with Special Educational Needs and/or disability) 
  • SENDIASS information leaflets

For further information, advice and support please contact us on 01473 265210 or

For latest news and advice you can find us on Facebook.