Raising concerns and managing disagreements

What you do if your child has special educational needs and you are unhappy about the help they are getting.

ResizedImage19976 16431 Sendiass Logo Final

There are many ways to highlight concerns over the support your child receives and manage disputes and disagreement that may arise from this.

We have produced two leaflets with information on how to manage these issues:

You you may also be interested in attending our workshop 'Making Meetings Matter' which offers practical advice and the opportunity to meet other parents and share good practice.

First steps

The first thing you should do if your are unhappy about the help your child receives is speak to either:

  • their teacher
  • the Special Educational Needs Coordinator
  • the headteacher

If you child has an Education, Health and Care plan (EHC plan) you can contact that Special Needs Office Team in the local authority.

We can help you prepare for and may attend the meeting. You could download our leaflet 'Making Meetings Matter'.

What next?

If contacting the school or local authority does not resolve your problem you can:

  • seek some help to put your concerns forward
  • make a complaint
  • ask for an independent disagreement resolution or mediation
  • appeal against a decision in certain circumstances
  • Log a complaint with the Local Government Ombudsman (LGO)

You will normally able to follow more than one route, so if independent mediation fails you can still make a complaint.

We can give you some more information about these different routes.

Contact us

Call our helpline on 01473 265210 during office hours Monday-Friday.

You can leave a message and we'll get back to you.

Email sendiass@suffolk.gov.uk