Suffolk County Council's County Farms Estate covers 5,609 hectares across the county and works with its 127 tenants to create a wide variety of farming and rural businesses, ranging from agriculture to retail, to support the local economy whilst providing over £1,000,000 to support the council's front-line services.
The estate has also raised over £9,000,000 by selling surplus property in the last 10 years and provides a valuable land bank for the council to promote its wider policies, including housing projects in rural areas.
The council has shown its commitment to the estate's long-term future through its cross party review in 2019, and has adopted new objectives and policies, which can be found on this page, setting out the framework for the estate’s future management to 2029.
The estate has regular letting opportunities for those looking to establish rural businesses. The available opportunities are advertised in early spring each year, with tenancies offered to the successful applicants beginning in October.
Successful applicants will have to show:
- sufficient knowledge and experience, including finance and business planning
- a grounded entrepreneur who will identify and take advantage of new business opportunities
- passion for the agricultural sector and the drive to succeed
You can download the following:
- Application form for a County Farm (PDF, 512KB)
- Budget and finance workbook (Excel, 244KB)
- Standard tenancy agreement (PDF, 694KB)
- Estate Objectives, Policies and Tenant Selection Criteria (PDF, 72KB)
Please contact the County Farms team on firstname.lastname@example.org if you require any additional information.
Suffolk County Farms Estate map