We work to:
- prevent and control outbreaks of animal disease
- protect the welfare of livestock - in transit and at animal gatherings
- safeguard human health and the food chain from contagious diseases
Our work includes:
- visiting keepers of livestock to ensure they are complying with disease control and welfare rules
- checking livestock movements
- checking vehicles that transport animals
- attending animal gatherings
- investigating allegations of livestock welfare abuse
- investigating breaches of animal by-products disposal rules
Animal disease response
In preparation of any potential livestock disease outbreaks a multi agency plan is in place.
This has been developed by Suffolk Trading Standards and the Suffolk Joint Emergency Planning Unit.
It allows coordinated contingency planning to take place within Suffolk and is updated in line with the National Framework Response Plan to Exotic Animal Diseases.
For more information visit the Suffolk Resilience website
Report Livestock Health and Welfare concerns to us by calling 03454 040506
To find out the requirements of keeping and moving livestock, read our livestock premises assessment guide (Word, 445KB).
For more information and guidance visit the GOV.UK website.