All young people should be helped to develop the skills and experience, and achieve the qualifications they need to succeed in their careers.
The overwhelming majority of young people with Special Education Needs and disabilities (SEND) (PDF, 48KB) are capable of sustainable paid employment with the right preparation and support.
Rewards and benefits
What are the benefits to your company?
- Loyalty and commitment: SEND employees tend to be very loyal and committed to the business, with less turnover of staff and savings on recruitment costs.
- Absence: rates are often lower.
- Reputation: many customers have a better perception of organisations who employ SEND people in visible job roles. A study found 87% of consumers preferred to use companies that hired people with disabilities.
- Diversity: a wide pool of labour that reflects local communities, which enables the business to have a greater understanding of needs of client groups that need extra support. For example, disabled people, parents with buggies, older customers. Attracts the £212 billion purple pound (spending power of disabled people and their families).
- Consistency of work: many SEND people are happy to carry out tasks that are repetitive or require a standardised approach.
- Corporate social responsibility: contributes to CSR responsibilities and targets.
Offering either a Supported Internship or work experience will allow a business to apply for the New Anglia Youth Pledge Marque, which demonstrates a business’s commitment to supporting young people in Suffolk and Norfolk.
This campaign has been featured in the Business East Monthly of the East Anglian Daily Times on 21 March 2017.
Find out how to be a SENDsational employer:
- Tell me more about SENDsational Young People (PDF, 48KB)
- I’m interested in work experience (PDF, 42KB)
- I would like to know more about traineeships (PDF, 44KB)
- I want to find out more about Supported Internships (PDF, 51KB)
- I would like to know more about apprenticeships
- What is the Youth Pledge Marque?
- If you are a parent or carer you can find information on the Local Offer website
- If you are a SENDsational young person find out more on The Source
- For more information on Supported Internships in West Suffolk: Supported Internships - A Guide for Employers (PDF, 142KB)
For further information or to express your interest, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.