- All young people should be helped to develop the skills and experience, and achieve the qualifications they need to succeed in their careers.
- The overwhelming majority of young people with Special Education Needs and disabilities (SEND) are capable of sustainable paid employment with the right preparation and support.
- As a local employer, we want your help in this challenge by offering work experience , a traineeship or a Supported Internship.
Rewards and Benefits
What are the benefits to your company?
- Loyalty and Commitment – SEND employees tend to be very loyal and committed to the business; less turnover of staff ; savings on recruitment costs
- Absence - rates are often lower
- Reputation – many customers have a better perception of organisations who employ SEND people in visible job roles. A study found 87% of consumers preferred to use companies that hired people with disabilities.
- Diversity – A wide pool of labour that reflects local communities ; enables the business to have a greater understanding of needs of client groups that need extra support – e.g. disabled people, parents with buggies, older customers. Attracts the £212bn purple pound – (spending power of disabled people and their families)
- Consistency of work – many SEND people are happy to carry out tasks that are repetitive or require a standardised approach.
- Corporate Social Responsibility – contributes to CSR responsibilities and targets
Offering either a Supported Internship or work experience will allow a business to apply for the New Anglia Youth Pledge Marque, which demonstrates a business’s commitment to supporting young people in Suffolk & Norfolk.
This campaign has been featured in the Business East Monthly of the East Anglian Daily Times on 21 March 2017: read the article here.
Find out how to be a SENDsational employer:
- Tell me more about SENDsational Young People
- I’m interested in Work Experience
- I would like to know more about Traineeship
- I want to find out more about Supported Internship
- I would like to know more about Apprenticeships
- What is the Youth Pledge Marque?
- If you are a parent or carer you can find information on the Local Offer website
- If you are a SENDsational young person find out more on the Source.
- For more information on Supported Internships in West Suffolk: Supported Internships - A Guide for Employers
For further information or to express your interest please email firstname.lastname@example.org