Emergency plan: preparing for the loss of power or water supply

For customers who receive a managed service from Suffolk County Council about how to deal with an emergency situation such as loss of power or water supply.

We highly recommend that all members of staff are aware of the emergency procedure for your building.

We suggest printing out the emergency numbers on this page, and preferably making a note of the MPAN or MPRN numbers specific to your building, and posting them in a communal area.

Please feel free to contact us if you need help with identifying your MPAN or MPRN numbers.

If you've lost the supply of electricity, gas, or water to your property, or think you can smell gas use the emergency telephone numbers below.

Type of supply

Emergency contact


Gas National Grid 0800 111 999
Electricity UK Power Networks

0800 316 3105

0333 323 2105 (for mobiles)

Water Essex and Suffolk Water

0345 782 0999

0800 526 337

Water Anglian Water 0345 714 5145

If you've run out of fuel  the numbers you need are available below.

Type of fuel



LPG Calor Gas 0870 240 8240
Woodfuel English Wood Fuels 01664 898 098
Oil Certas Energy 0800 085 2314

Further information

If you've a gas leak or gas emergency, visit the National Grid or Corona Energy websites.

In the event of an electricity power cut, or other electrical emergency, visit the UK Power Networks website.

If you've a non-urgent fault or query with your energy supply equipment contact the Property helpdesk or the Energy Team on the numbers shown below.

If you urgently need assistance out of hours you can call Paul Bonello on 07703 231188.

For advice about how to investigate high water consumption or a water leak download how to investigate high water consumption/water leaks (PDF, 174KB)

Contact us


Emergency number

Non-emergency number

Coastal, Ipswich and Lowestoft & Waveney Localities 07771 943574 01502 534333
Monday to Friday, 8am to 4:30pm
Central, South Suffolk and West Localities 07880 555668 01284 758680
Monday to Friday, 8am to 4:30pm

The contents of this page are intended for general information only and should not be relied on as forming a binding commitment on the council.